Calling serious propellerheads: Linux ndiswrapper

islingtonclaret

This should be a subject for the Ubuntu forums, but after searching and searching it's really starting to piss me off.

(props to darrenm, after I berated him on the "work failures" thread - sorry about that, but if you're feeling generous you -might- help me on this ;)

Here's the shorthand:

-Have dell desktop. Dimension, pentium 4. Nothing out of the ordinary.

-Have PCI wireless card installed, Netgear that, if you're using Windows uses wg311v3 drivers based on Marvell chipset

-Have Ubuntu 12.10 LTS

Can't get this wireless card to work at all, despite going though plenty of workarounds and fixes.

Lowdown is that ndiswrapper, linux's native windows driver wrapper, has started to not work with this driver. It previously worked.

Stumbling point is using the modprobe ndiswrapper command in terminal. It's not having it. Saying "FATAL -module ndiswrapper not found.

All solutions using ndisgtk installations with ndiswrapper 1.9 don't work. So, I currently have ndiswrapper installed and reading in the driver, but it's not attaching to the kernal.

HELP?

I might give that a go. The reason I went for 12.10LTS is because this is going to have a LAMP stack whacked onto it and will become my test environment for various frameworks and MySQL data modelling - so as stable as is possible. Will post results when I get them...

Edited by islingtonclaret

I agree with Darren, but I'd also run the LAMP stack in a virtual machine. There's lots of benefits to running your stack in a stable enterprise class OS, especially one you can migrate between machines.

Got no cash at the moment, so can't even pick up a chump change card.

Virtualisation is something I would be looking into but that's certainly running before I can walk!

I don't think it is. Install virtualbox, create new image, point to Debian ISO. If you aren't comfortable with that, how are you going to get comfortable tuning MySQL? First time, just take default settings for everything and remember this IP address: 10.0.2.2.

You'll probably find 13.04 can see your wifi card, which would mean spending nothing.

My running before I can walk quote is in reference to really needing ndiswrapper to talk to the wireless card first, before I start firing up Virtual boxes for the LAMP stack. I've not got my Mac with me at the moment, so I can't burn the DVD image for Ubuntu 13 which is a bit annoying- should have the laptop back later today though.

Not quite getting the requirements here limpid - I've already said it's a Pentium 4 Dell - are you saying that a virtual server of Ubuntu or Debian (or whatever I put on there for that matter) will actually run respectibly on this machine?! Thought ideal solutions were for VMWare boxes etc. and quad cores to handle this stuff, didn't think it would be so readily available at home. Mind you, for that matter, I didn't expect Oracle would be putting out a GNU product for this either, do shows what I know

Yes a pentium 4 will run a Debian virtual just fine. There's hardly any overhead compared to running it native. It's going to crawl anyway. Try it. What do you have to lose?

Please start a new thread(s?) for other stuff.

Yes a pentium 4 will run a Debian virtual just fine. There's hardly any overhead compared to running it native. It's going to crawl anyway. Try it. What do you have to lose?

Please start a new thread(s?) for other stuff.

I'm not sure it will. It won't have VT or SVM so there won't be any hardware virtualisation, and VirtualBox is only really optimised for that these days.

There's a big difference between native and software virtualisation. 

Â