Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

Its funny, we want a striker partner for Carew yet most of you seem to overlook the fact we have an England u21 international who is our top scorer in his FIRST FULL SEASON and won our Young Player of The Year award.

Once upon a time, that kinda thing woulda meant something.

Agreed - but MON didn't sign Gabby did he ?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true, however, if you want to break into Europe you can't rely on such a thing. Will Gabby be better, the same or even slump next season? You can't really say for sure can you.

This is really a predicament for fans such as us, who are used to being 10th or even worse. We love many of our players, we make them sound better than they really are and we tend to blame someone in the team for not being that good etc etc. We have Bouma, Laursen, Mellberg, Barry, Petrov, Young, Carew, Agbonlahor, Moore etc etc who who many on here would rate as easily good enough for Europe. Reality is that we once again made it difficult for ourselves and could have relegated if we had been a little less careful. It is a long way from 11th to 5th - 6th and it involves money and sacrificing players, as well as drafting in new ones.... It's gonna be a sweet ride.

Its funny, we want a striker partner for Carew yet most of you seem to overlook the fact we have an England u21 international who is our top scorer in his FIRST FULL SEASON and won our Young Player of The Year award.

Once upon a time, that kinda thing woulda meant something.

Agreed - but MON didn't sign Gabby did he ?

What relevance has that to anything? I think we're all just hellbent on new signings our brightest prospect is being overlooked.

it involves money and sacrificing players, as well as drafting in new ones....

I agree with you there, but let's look at the facts here. Whether we get Defoe or Bent or whoever, we seem to have an idea of what we're after. A young, athletic, pacey finisher who can play off Carew. It seems we just want a named striker to get on the back of our new Nike jersey in August because those are attributes Gabby has, admittedly still to be developed.

Imagine Man United had a 20 year old lightning quick striker, who was being touted for England senior and scored 10 in his first full premiership season, how much do you think Man U would price him at? Are they not the key ingredients in a young striker? Pace and finishing? We may watch him week in week out and know his faults but I would go so far as to say there isn't a club in the premiership who would turn down a prospect like Gabby. Playing alongside someone like Carew who has european footy experience can only be good for the guy.

Linked with Distin this morning in 2 tabliod papers - good experienced centre back - should work well with olly - get the feeling MON is very keen to fill the centre back position.

and he will be free. I think a double swoop for Barton and Diston would be a good bit of business for us.

why are people even mentioning replacing Gabby. We need a new striker to strengthen the number of strikers in the squad, not to replace them. For me Gabby has to start next season. He is probably the fastest player in the league and has a real eye for goal. I can see him getting 15+ goals next season.

why are people even mentioning replacing Gabby. We need a new striker to strengthen the number of strikers in the squad, not to replace them. For me Gabby has to start next season. He is probably the fastest player in the league and has a real eye for goal. I can see him getting 15+ goals next season.

My whole point! If anything we should be looking at cover for Carew who is unlikely to play every game.

Linked with Distin this morning in 2 tabliod papers - good experienced centre back - should work well with olly - get the feeling MON is very keen to fill the centre back position.

What about linking well with Laursen?

Our best defender by a mile.

I don't think it's a matter of replacing Gabby, more a case of adding to the squad and hopefully bringing in bit more experience. Think MON would have liked to have been able to rest Gabby more this season but that wasn't an option.

My whole point! If anything we should be looking at cover for Carew who is unlikely to play every game.

I don't think that MON expects Gabby and Carew to play 38+ games a season. Another striker IS needed if only so we can change it around a bit.

I still feel there is a ? over Luke Moore. Young and Maloney are wide players.

As has been said on here and I have said a few times on various threads most of the players we have aren't good enough to take us that extra step forward. We all have our favourites but will have to accept that some of us will be disappointed that they are not playing.

I can't see the argument that just because we are looking to strengthen we will neccesarily sell players.

What about linking well with Laursen?

Our best defender by a mile.

Of course laursen could go on to break charlie aitken record for aston villa appearances.......or he could pick an injury and spend a large part of the season on the sidelines. Don't think MON will take the risk.

You are only as good as the players who cannot get in the team.

We need to build a squad where people like Gareth barry - let alone Gabby and Young, are not guarenteed a 1st team place.

Look at Spurs (who is probably the team we will be looking to challenge next year) Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, all international strikers and all I reckon Villa fans would want at our club - all challenging for 2 positions - 1 HAS to settle for the bench.

Thats where we need to be.

I'd go tooth and nail for Bent - start with Bent and Carew, but what a mouth watering prospect it is to have the likes of Gabby, Moore and Maloney on the bench !!

from icbirmingham.....

Patrik Berger, Olof Mellberg and Gavin McCann will be offered fresh terms, along with youngster Craig Gardner whilst talks will also determine the likelihood of Thomas Sorensen being made available for transfer at a set price.

Putting tommy up for sale is a massive gamble. Artur Bocuc has proved himself in the scottish league (wow !) - should he not settle - we would only have taylor as reserve. Tommy isn't a top drawer keeper - he is a steady premier keeper - i would like him to stay around.

I'd be absolutely delighted if we got Distin, for me him and Laursen would be brilliant together in the middle of our defence and it would be nicely balanced, Distin loves to bring the ball out and pass it so he could gel with Laursen very well, as for Gabby, there's no question he's the fastest thing in the league right now and that's a massive weapon imo as defences are simply scared out of their minds to push up, he's proved he can cope on the big stage by scoring at three of the top fours grounds and his last goal against sheff utd indicates that he's learning to create goals for himself, i for one can't wait to see what he does next season, for me he can be better than Bent and Defoe if he keeps progressing.

I don't want to turn this into another transfer thread, but based on all the circumstances, how would you feel if we were to sign James Milner this summer?

He's had a great season, and O'Neill is clearly an admirer, although it would be unlikely for him to chase him again.

Do discuss!