John Joins the Villa Carew

JohnCresswell

Martin O’Neill’s first proper January transfer has been completed with nine days to go, with him signing up Norway’s John Carew on a three and a half year deal.

Let’s face it, Villa have hardly had much luck with strikers in recent years, and with Milan Baros shipped out to Lyon then the manager would have been an absolute mug to do anything else other than be sure he was bringing in another striker.

Carew joins as a straight swap for Milan Baros and will add that strength up front for which O’Neill has been looking for all season – with Sutton out he had to act.

Carew will now play in his sixth country, having previously played in Norway, Spain, Italy, Turkey and France. Despite his age, 27, he has played for a host of different top clubs but found it hard to settle in one place.

In 286 career appearances, including 57 international caps he has scored 100 goals – that’s 0.34 goals per game – so roughly a goal every three games. To put that in perspective, Milan Baros has managed 0.48 goals per game and Juan Pablo Angel 0.299 goals per game.

It’s expected Carew will take the number ten shirt at Villa Park.

Carew appears to bit not only be fairly pacey but able to rifle a ball into the back of the net with some speed.

VillaTalk welcome’s the new striker to Villa Park, hoping that new additions to the squad will continue to arrive and have contribute to the success that we all want to happen.

To see some clips of carew in action, click here, here and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdo8MhVvHE.

So MON has got a big attacker who hopefully can not only take some of the pressure of the youngsters, but also stick the ball in the net.

Looking forward to Young also joining, when we will be a good position to make an impact on the top half of the table 'til the end of the season.

Well done MON and Randy.

PS assumes Young will be announced tomorrow.

:clap:

Player Profile:

John Alieu Carew

DOB: 05/09/1979

Birthplace: Lorenskog

Previous clubs: Valerenga, Rosenborg, Valencia, Roma (loan), Besiktas, Lyon

Carew began his career with local side Lørenskog IF, but was quickly climbing the ladder of Norwegian football, moving to Vålerenga IF in 1997 then Rosenborg BK in 1999.

18 goals in 18 games for the Norwegian champions attracted Valencia and his time in Spain was not without its highlights.

Carew scored 14 league goals in his first season, and the winner against Arsenal in the UEFA Champions League quarter-final, also playing in the final defeat against FC Bayern München.

Olympique Lyonnais became Carew's fourth club in four different countries in as many seasons when he signed for the French champions in June 2005.

He had left his native Norway for Valencia CF in 2000, but after a successful first campaign he fell out of favour and in 2003 joined AS Roma on loan.

A move to Besiktas he following season revitalsed his career, 13 league goals persuading Gérard Houllier to spend £7.7m to bring him to the Stade Gerland.

Carew, still only 25 when he arrived in France, made an immediate impact, scoring a hat-trick as Lyon defeated AJ Auxerre to win the French Super Cup then four goals in his first five league games and he remained an important part of Houllier's plans.

Carew moved to Villa Park in a straight swap for Czech striker Milan Baros and has signed a contract until the summer of 2010.

In 286 career appearances, including 57 international caps he has scored 100 goals – that’s 0.34 goals per game – so roughly a goal every three games. To put that in perspective, Milan Baros has managed 0.48 goals per game and Juan Pablo Angel 0.299 goals per game.

Sorry, that's a mistake.

Well I don't know about everyone else, but this one has got me excited. I think this is just what we need.

For me Sutton has looked effective when played and given us an extra dimension going forward. Now with all due respect, Sutton is over the hill, so if Carew can be deployed in a similar fasion then I think we'll now have the makings of a strike force which could put the fear of God into most PL defences!

Atleast that's the theory anyway......

Welcome John!

i think this is a great signing for us we do not hold the ball up at all well when our forwards in jpa and baros(now gone ) so a big lad upfront will give our midfield time to get up support instead of coming straight back at us.

Things are on the up at long last keep the faith :winkold:

Great signing for both Carew and villa.Coach said that his first game will be against Hammers.I am from norway and can`t wait to see Carew play in premier league.Not in form a poor player but in form a world class actor.Really hope he will be a big hit at villa park and if so champions league could be a reality from next season.

Cheers

Â