Margus Hunt -- Estonian likely to go in the first round

leviramsey

I watched the Hawaii Bowl the other day (Southern Methodist vs. Fresno State) and this guy is a beast. He's only played football for three years after switching from athletics:

From wikipedia

In 2005 he won his first title at the European Junior Championships in Kaunas, throwing 62.19 metres with the 1.75 kg discus.

In 2006 at the World Junior Championships in Beijing Hunt established a new world junior record of 66.35 metres in his first throw on the qualifying round. At the final competition Hunt improved his own world junior record to 66.68 m in the fourth round and then 67.32 m in the sixth and final round. His gold medal was the first World Junior gold medal for Estonia.

Hunt left Estonia for Dallas in 2007 in order to train with Southern Methodist University track and field coach Dave Wollman, and he began attending SMU part-time. However, by the time he arrived at SMU, it had dropped its men's track program. Hunt wanted to keep working with Wollman, who had previously worked with another Estonian discus thrower, and the latter decided that Hunt's size and athleticism could earn him an (American) football scholarship. When Hunt tried out for football, his physical power, combined with a 4.7-second 40-yard dash, led head football coach June Jones to give him a scholarship, and he began attending SMU full-time in 2009. Since then, he has played for the Mustangs. On October 12, 2009, Margus Hunt was named the Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week. On November 7 Hunt broke the school record for blocked kicks in a season when he blocked an extra point try and a field goal against Rice. In his first 14 games at SMU he blocked 8 kicks, putting him in the top 10 in blocked kicks among all NCAA players.

If I'm not mistaken, he now holds the college career record for blocked kicks, because...

For nearly 10 years, Bruce Feldman, a writer for CBSSports.com, has annually compiled what he calls a "Freak List" of the 10 college football players he considers the most freakish athletes. In 2012, Hunt was on top of his list. According to Feldman, Hunt "sounds like a PlayStation football creation"—despite his 82-inch (2.1 m) wingspan, he is able to bench press 225 pounds (102 kg) 35 times, and has also cleaned 384 pounds (174 kg) and snatched 345 pounds (156 kg). Hunt also boasts a 36-inch (91 cm) vertical jump. Wollman predicts that Hunt will have 45 repetitions and a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the 2013 NFL combine.

This guy is like JJ Watt, only faster, stronger and with more ability to bat down passes. Fresno State was triple-teaming him and he was still getting to the QB.

Doubt he'll go top 10 IMO but I do expect the top picks to be mostly offensive and defensive tackles. There isn't a great amount of talent in the glamour positions this year sadly as the Jags could have done with an RG3 or Cam Newton.

I would love to see us pick up Jarvis Jones from dirty Georgia though. He is a **** animal.

Â