Connecting PS3 to Monitor

Junxs

Hi guys,

looking to get some advice, preferably from some one who has successfully managed to do this.

Im trying to connect my PS3 to a monitor through the VGA connection so I can take it to work and play on night shifts.

Ive bought 2 different cables now but neither works despite both being advertised to do exactly this.

The sellers claim its the type of monitor Im connecting to rather than admit their cables are the problem.

The first cable i bought was a HDMI -> VGA / Composite (the wire slpits near the end so you can choose which connection to use)

The 2nd is a direct HDMI -> VGA. (like i stated earlier, they were advertised to use ps3 with monitors)

Ive tried connecting to my 46inch Toshiba LCD HD TV, Philips 23' LEDTV and an old Compaq 15' TFT monitor.. which tells me its not the equipment im connecting to but the cables.

Ive got refunds from the sellers so thats not a problem, but its just bothering me that other people must be succesfully doing this otherwise how can the sellers continue to sell these cables.

maybe its my Playstation? Ive got the old fatter one rather than the newer slim one, but I dont see how that could be the issue.

Any thoughts anyone?

You're not going to be able to do it cheaply.

VGA is an analogue connection, HDMI is digital, you'll need an active converter to go from one to the other. Something like this. For the straight cables to do it you'd need a monitor that accepts a digital connection on VGA, and, you're not really going to find one.

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick reply TheDon.

What if the monitor I want to connect to also has a DVI input? Is that a digital connection? if so would a direct HDMI -> DVI cable work?

So really the people selling these cables on ebay stating they allow for Playstations to connect to monitors are misleading people into buying them by missing out the fact they need this pricey middle device.

Ah I see. Thanks for the quick reply TheDon.

What if the monitor I want to connect to also has a DVI input? Is that a digital connection? if so would a direct HDMI -> DVI cable work?

Yep, DVI and HDMI are 100% compatible, a HDMI connector is just a DVI connector with a different pin layout (and a bit extra for audio) so a HDMI to DVI cable will work all the time.

So really the people selling these cables on ebay stating they allow for Playstations to connect to monitors are misleading people into buying them by missing out the fact they need this pricey middle device.

Pretty much.

You wouldn't even use those cables with that device though, you'd use a hdmi cable going into one end, and a vga cable out of the other.

Excellent, ordering one right now.. thank you so much!! should have researched first before buying the VGA cable! haha

Might report these sellers on ebay for misleading people.

Doesn't the monitor need to be able to handle HDCP as well? I thought the PS3 used that

That's true... forgot about that as it's dumb that you need an encrypted signal to play a damn game, but yeah a lot of PS3 games require hdcp.

So yes, you'll need your monitor to support HDCP, or a HD Fury3 to strip out the HDCP from the signal (which at near £200, isn't cheap!)

Ok just for some closure on this topic, I got the HDMI => DVI-D cable but that failed as well.

Though i got a better resposne though. The orange standby light went green when i connected it but the screen stayed blank.

Oh well it was worth a try!

Although next thing I might try is an RCA => VGA cable..

Hm. I have an adapter that converts composite to vga - I use it for playing my (old non-hdmi) xbox 360 on my monitor. I also have a 'hdmi blaster' which converts composite to hdmi, so my ps2 will work on my monitor as well. They both work fine. Hdmi to vga though is something I've never tried...get a monitor with a Hdmi socket at work? Duno.

Â