Baseball Hot Stove

maqroll

I called it on an article I put out for another site a while ago. The contracts were mostly backloaded and it seemed they never had the intention of keeping them for the long run, just a way of putting people in the new stadium. It'd just look awful if they opened a new stadium half empty. Great move for Toronto, always been a fan of Buehrle.

It's not like the Marlins haven't done this sort of massive salary dump before... though this time the Marlins didn't win the Series first!

If I'm the Rays, I'm pissed. They've been struggling for years to get a stadium deal done and are going about it the right way, while that clown Loria poisons the well.

If Baltimore can add a quality arm and another good hitter, they'll be in the mix as well...all of a sudden all five AL East clubs will have a legit shot at a playoff spot. Should be a fun season, usually away games at Toronto are a total snoozefest.

At the risk of turning this int the Transfer Speculation thread, I'm hearing the Red Sox are after Josh Hamilton...

It would be a huge mistake. He's about 30, is on the DL for at least one month every season, and has drink/drug issues.

I really hope it doesn't happen.

At the risk of turning this int the Transfer Speculation thread

That's what the Hot Stove is, Levi :)

World Baseball Classic draw

Pool A (Fukuoka Dome, Japan)

1. Japan

2. China

3. Cuba

4. Spain

Pool B (Taichung Stadium, Taiwan)

1. South Korea

2. Netherlands

3. Australia

4. Chinese Taipei

Pool C (Hiram Bithorn Stadium, Puerto Rico)

1. Venezuela

2. Puerto Rico

3. Dominican Republic

4. Brazil

Pool D (Chase Field, USA)

1. USA

2. Mexico

3. Italy

4. Canada

Tampa have extended Longoria for $100m, I was certain he'd walk or force a trade. Just another sign that the NY-Boston stranglehold on the division is a thing of the past. With a resurgent Baltimore, a dangerous Tampa, and a suddenly flush Toronto, the division is more competitive then ever.

Â