Swindon Pubs

deasy92

Been told by a Swindon fan the Merlin is just 2 minute walk from ther ground. They usually have a bar outside the away end ran by the club but its not in operation for us

From Football Ground Guide:

"Away fans are treated to their own bar, called Bar 71, which is located by the away turnstiles. The County Hotel right by the ground, did not allow entrance to away supporters on my last visit. Best to continue down County Road and seek out the Cricket Club that sits behind the Arkells Stand. As Mark Osborne from Swindon adds; 'On match days home and away fans can park on the cricket ground (for a small fee) and then have access to a drink in the cricket club. This is a very friendly (as well as cheap) club that always welcomes away fans'. I would echo these comments but also add that you can still get into the cricket club (there is no charge) even if you have not parked there. Please note though that the Cricket Club facilities are not available when the Cricket Club is playing a match. This doesn't happen often but can do towards the beginning and end of the football season, when fixtures overlap.

Audrey MacDonald a visiting Hartlepool United fan, recommends 'The Merlin' on Drove Road, near to the magic roundabout. 'Away fans are welcome and they have Sky Sports showing on 12 television screens and even in the gents (according to my husband)'. Alcohol is available within the ground to away fans in the Arkells Stand (but not in the open Stratton Bank End), otherwise if you arrive early Swindon town centre is a 15 minute walk away."

http://footballgroun..._town/index.htm

At a guess, The Merlin is the pub most Villa will use

I heard on Saturday that the locals will be out in force. Think Oxford a few years ago in the league cup.

Pwopa naughty.

It's a rough old town no doubt about it, times that by ten when a team like Villa visits, every nutjob within a twenty mile radius will be out and about. A Coventry-supporting mate of mine told me some Swindon fans bricked the Cov coaches and attacked some of their fans a few weeks ago when they went to the County Ground.

As for the locals being out, not really worth mentioning, there will be too much police tonight for anything to happen. And the segregation in the Arkells stand has been upped since an incident with Bristol Rovers a few years ago

Â