Total War

maqroll

They're releasing "Empire Total War Gold Edition", which is Mac-friendly...all their releases get good reviews...does anyone play them, and if so, what do you like/dislike about them?

I like how you can zoom in on all the little men fighting and pretend that you're one of them.

I don't like how when they're murdering each other there is a distinct lack of limbs and guts flying around.

I've played the original Shogun:TW, Shogun 2 and Medieval: TW 2, so some of the more melée centric titles with more faction specific units and less gunpowder. I've enjoyed them for the sense of tactical accomplishment when you come out the other side of an epic battle triumphant, but the feature-bloat on some of the more modern titles started to turn me off. It got to the point in Medieval 2 where sooo much stuff was happening in a single turn that I got overwhelmed by micromanagement, couldn't be arsed to continue with the game.

I also hate the way EA nickel and dimes users with DLC, taking stuff that should have been in the game originally and selling it a portion at a time. You know those limbs and guts you miss, hogso? Well now you too can paint the landscape red with the Shogun TW 2 Blood DLC, a steal at £1.50! (Check Steam, it exists...) That's just one example... Another is when I was playing Shogun 2 myself, I checked the in-game encyclopedia to see what units I wanted to build and what tech tree I should follow. I painstaking built all the necessary buildings, over several dozen seasons and many hours of play... only to discover that the monks I wanted to build were a DLC item, unavailable in the vanilla game (and this was not mentioned in the encyclopedia). Soon after that I dropped the game and didn't go back. Kind of a shame since Shogun 2 felt like a good refinement of the franchise's strengths.

I own Empire as part of a bundle but never installed it. Not sure if I ever plan to... the gun combat is something I could never really get my head around and I hear that the interchangeability of units is a little bit disappointing.

• 5 weeks later...

From what I understand, there is quite a different feel between the gunpowder-centric, later entries in the series like Empire and Napoleon, and the other titles in the series like Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2. Personally I never felt the draw of the Empire-type titles and stayed well away, plus the critical reception seemed kind of lukewarm too. If you have any kind of interest in the series, I wouldn't write it off totally until you've tried one of the better-received instalments. Having said that, all my complaints further up about DLC still remain.

I'm playing empire at the moment, it's ok, the seas battles are a bit hard and slow, apart from that you seem to have a lot of units that basically do the same thing, not as amazing as I was expecting tbh

Love the land battles, hate the naval ones, never managed to get used to it and eventually i just gave up and "auto-resolved" every naval battle that came my way.

Â