Broken Sword - Serpant's Curse (Kickstarter)

hogso

UK developer Revolution Software have announced a new game in the Broken Sword series - self published via a Kickstarter campaign which went live yesterday, with the game expected to be released in April 2013.

photo-full.jpg

They've set a target of $400,000, and with a month to go before closing, after a single day they've had $160,000 worth of pledges. They're using a tier based pledge system, were the lowest contributors get the game and a few little extras, all the way up to the highest contributors who get an invite to the launch party, an invite to the wrap party at 'one of the exotic in game locations', a tour of the studio, and a very small part in the game it self.

Check it out. Personally I think I'll plumb for the $50 pledge, as nice as the boxed version sounds I don't think I can justify spending $100 on one. Although I do like Broken Sword...

• 4 weeks later...
Cool! Hope they stick to the point and click style.

They are - along with classic 2D hand-drawn backgrounds, but being dragged into the HD age with 3D character models. The previews look great.

There's a little over 24 hours for it to run, and they've got ~$780k at the moment. Another $80k and they'll hit the top stretch target and be able to do everything they wanted to in the game. It might happen, they introduced a few new rewards yesterday which may see a significant rise in pledges.

For those that havent done so yet and are interested in the game might like to consider the $50 pledge (~£30). For that you get the new game via download (DRM free), plus all the other Broken Sword games as well as 3 other Reveloution titles (including the fantastic Beneath a Steel Sky), plus other bits and bobs like digital comics, history of Broken Sword pdf, stuff like that. Not a bad deal at all.

For another $50 you then get the physical boxed ('old school big box') version ^___^

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The beta demo has been released for some backers.

It's...Broken Sword, but HD. Well, almost HD, the beta can't be played at full res unfortunately which is noticeable, but the full game should look great.

Being Broken Sword, but HD, isn't a criticism, it's exactly what I was hoping for really. The classic dialogue, the subtle humour, the sometimes ridiculous items you find find and sections they solve. It really is like one of the first two games, it's almost as if you can forget the others ever happened.

It's being released as 2 episodes - but Revolution say that's not an indication of their size. Rather, because the kickstarter went so well, they were able to double the size of the game they were going to make, so now it's in 2 parts. The first is out next week? I think, and the second a couple months later I believe.

What's this game about? Intrigued.

Ever played any of the other Broken Sword games?

Nope nope, what are they about?

Point and click adventure games with plenty of really good puzzles and great story lines (well, 1 and 2)... it'll keep you hooked. Get on them.

What's this game about? Intrigued.

Ever played any of the other Broken Sword games?

Nope nope, what are they about?

They follow the accidental adventures of American George Stobbart and French Nico Collard, usually involving some conspiracy or murder mystery that lead them on a journey across the globe. There's usually a strong mythical element to the story as well (the first involved the Knights Templar for example), but it's very much routed in the real, modern day world.

They can be slow paced affairs, but if you've played something like Monkey Island you'll know what to expect gameplay wise. Not for everyone, I'm sure some people would find these types of games pretty boring, but once you get in to the characters, locations, and story, you'd more than likely want to stick it out.

Is this a brand new story, and not a remake?

Yep, all new, it's George and Nico again, same voice actors and that, and a story that is something that would've easily have made the game a best seller at the height of the popularity of the PC 'adventure' game genre.

This one will be on Steam upon release, and will be coming to Vita as well

Oh OK guys, the first of the two 'episodes' is actually released in 2 days time - 4th December (PC, Mac, Os X, then later in the month for Android, iOS and Vita), with the second 'episodes' coming in January, although there isn't an official date yet.

Out today - backers will have received an invite to the online launch thing which is at 6.30pm tonight.

Reviews are mixed. They generally seem to applaud the game for giving long term fans / backers exactly what they wanted. It's a brand new Broken Sword game, but in HD (nearly - it's launching 720p max so it is stable on as many platforms as possible, but they are going to release a 1080p thing for PC). However, because it follows the 'old school' model so closely, there are criticisms about the pace and some of the more illogical puzzles. Also, some of the voice acting isn't great, which is presumed to be a result of them getting the game/s out asap.

It's £18.99 for both eps, although only the first is out today. Seems a bit pricey to me - although I was a backer so yeah.

Â