I've gone Galaxy

Dodgyknees

After nearly 5 years with an IPhone, I have taken the chance to upgrade to a Samsung galaxy s3

(and I am a little scared!)

Can you give me some hints and tips, apps and things to use, what to look for, how good the cam is and the quality of video recording (I use socialcam a lot)

How can I transfer from ITunes to whatever other software?

Help me :)

Ok, Stevo just did the exact same thing and he will be able to give you the best advice on how to migrate everything.

We suggest using windows media player to manage your media now. Steveo has switched from using itunes to that.

I assume your music is not mp3 so you'll need to convert it. Which might take a bit of time.

No it isn't mp3, most of it is the iTunes format. What is the best tool for that and how long might 120gb take?

Very nervous about the move.

What is battery life like? Can I use the phone as a personal hotspot?

Oh and the camera and video quality is superior to the iphone 4S according to The Verge and Engadget. While the camera app is also been lauded as the best.

So if it's the camera your using a lot then you'll be very satisfied with the phone by all accounts.

Ok if you use the camera a lot here is the great camera shortcut to learn. From the lock screen press and hold the screen (the water looking screen), and rotate the phone 180 degrees so it's in landscape position. Then lift your finger off the screen. This activates the camera app

I got mine in Andorra for a great price. But I think Amazon would be competitive on price.

The learning curve with Android is the customisation. The whole idea of home screens and widgets doesn't exist in iOS. So what I suggest you do is long press on most of the things on the home screen and bin them. Then in the app drawer long press on apps you want on your home screens and they can be moved there.

The persistent bar with dialler and SMS is also customisable. So you can long press on that stupid chat on thing and bin it. Throw email or Internet there.

First app you need to download is chrome. Use it instead of Internet. It's the best browser by far.

Oh and dropbox, you get 50gb of that so sign up for it now. Click on the drop box app and it'll take you through what you need. I set my phone to sync my photos there when I'm on wifi. Very handy is dropbox.

Can I just point out that "we" don't recommend Windows Media Player. I recommend you don't use Windows. For anything. :mrgreen:

And Conor, you meant 90 degrees, not 180, but it is a useful tip :-)

Well it's simple to use. It's just getting the best out of android as a platform is learning what you want from your phone. Then changing your phone to meet your needs. Sounds a bit vague but iPhone's delivered one experience and you get that. Android let's you customise the experience to fit you.

But there is nothing stopping you from using the phone out of box the way Samsung have set it up. Everything works.

But if there is something you did on your iphone and can't figure out how to do on Android just ask.

Can you add anything Limpid? Such as conversion of my files?

No, I've never bought locked in media so I can't assist with that at all. This was discussed recently when Stevo converted his stuff, but I'm sure someone will post it into this thread where it'll be more accessible.

I want my phone to be my social network hub, email, Facebook, socialcam, twitter, wordpress, Flickr and all the other sites I use.

I also want it to be used to play music, YouTube videos and other media like that.

And also, for web browsing.

Those are the main things for me.

Â