Front Page: O'Neill and Transfers

JohnCresswell

I do know what he's trying to say but its his overall lack of belief in MON, which despite what he says in the disclaimer shines through for me once again. In terms of the strategic analysis of our current situation I think Malc has a point but I think his underlying lack of belief in MON is what ruins this article for me

Yes, you can't help but see that meaning behind the words, can you?

Though there are some interesting points raised, the tone doesn't square with reality for me.

MON, to my knowledge , has not said that it might go all "pear-shaped". He has said that we might lose, and lose convincingly. But that is a sensible statement on MON's part that should not be read out of context. It's almost as though Malc is suggesting that it will come apart just as it did after DOL's first season, and if Malc is saying that, then he should look again at the difference MON has made to the side, as compared with DOL's first few months which saw us in 17th place by the December.

As far as this January is concerned, MON has declared the clear and unequivecal view that the squad is small. And with Moore and Delaney (and Laursen, really) not able to give any input just now, there is a lot of pressure on the squad remaining. Therefore, if £22m or so is available in Jan, the major part of that has to be in spending to increase the squad size effectively. I think we need 5 or 6 players to put the squad size right. Now that could mean 3 pretty good players and a couple of others, but I'm not MON.

I think MON will be canny, recently strongly linked with Lucas Neill & Steven Sidwell, both are a good age, decent ability, versatile and nearing the end of there contracts...... so wont cost a pretty penny in Jan............ may even be able to swap some fringplayers as well, if its true Rovers r interested in Sicknote Delaney & Reading are still interested in Hendrie............

I can see two or three of this standard of player and maybe one "petrov-like" signing arounf the £8m mark.................. maybe DEFOE !!!

some of this article baffles me as at first it seems that he is saying MON cant attract top quality players, his achievements are not that grea and that he is the best we xoul have got in the UK.

but on the other hand he is saying he thinks MON is the right man to take villa forward. :confused:

i trust MON so i think he will know what do to with that money but i find your point about not given money in jan, so he can have more in the summer...well i just agree with it. if we can challenge for europe this season why not strengthen?

The fact that he has never been at a club which has been able to afford him that opportunity seems to have escaped the attention

Are you sure ?

Mind you has O'Neill had the resources that may be at his disposal this time, in the past, I think not.

FWIW Malc I think that's a very fair article.

However I disagree with you that we ought to spent big on big names in January. Summer is the time for that and you havve to buy at hugely infalted prices if you buy in January. Depending on where we are depends on how we spend. But this will be a slow growth and there's no way we'll be challenging for the league next season.

Very good point.

It's interesting to see how some see this as a negative article and others as criticism of my belief in O'Neill's ability.

I didn't see myself as suggesting that he should buy big names in January either, far from it I hope he follows his normal methods and buy well. I am suggesting however, he buys big, and not wait to keep the money until the summer, simply because he's achieved miracles so far and with luck, even if it does go pear shaped and we lose a few matches, we will be in the mix come the january window to push on, money permitting.

Then come the summer, if the takeover is as good as we all hope, he should be given the sort of funds to make the likes of Petrov a me too rather than a special one.

Some people would find a reason to moan when submerged in a swimming pool of Playboy bunnies.

I cant breath there's too many tits around

Are you in the swimming pool or on VT? :lol:

I can see the comment right now "There's too many tits and some of them aren't big enough" and it won't be Rantin Rob's comment ;)

Sometimes I shake my head at how fans can be so pessimistic and cloak it as realism.

We are only 7 games into a season and the honeymoon period is still to be enjoyed.

All I know is that I look forward to each game with excitement and enthusiasm. Each game should be taken one at a time and enjoyed that way.

Thus far, we have not lost one game. MON tells us that that will happen soon enough. That is realism. IMO it is way too early to be pre judging what kind of manager or what kind of success this Villa team will have. I am happy to be in the present moment enjoying the prospect of a great game of football against Spurrrrrrrrrz.

What happens in January or thereafter is three months away and I am not going to be concerned about that until it arrives. I haven't even started shopping for Christmas yet so why should I be concerned about the January sales.

Meanwhile back to the Playboy Bunnies. At my age (not far off AVFC's) I won't be in a hurry to get out of that swimming pool especially if Paris Hilton and Shanna Moakler are both in the pool at the same time ;)

Not an awful lot of substance in that article, 'O'Neill needs to buy quality players' seems to be the gist of it. No shit Sherlock.

I don't think O'Neill will have any problem spotting a quality player that is both right for the club and will fit in with his ethics. Whether they want to come to the club at this stage is another matter and one the fans need to try and understand.

Not an awful lot of substance in that article, 'O'Neill needs to buy quality players' seems to be the gist of it. No shit Sherlock.

I don't think O'Neill will have any problem spotting a quality player that is both right for the club and will fit in with his ethics. Whether they want to come to the club at this stage is another matter and one the fans need to try and understand.

For future reference then please give me an idea of the substance you would have included

It's as if you want to be controvertial and say you don't think O'Neill is up to the task of buying ready made quality, but you don't have the balls to say it. Just my opinion.

And if you've got nothing useful to say, don't say anything at all. Which is why I never submit articles.......