Speaker system for PS3.

dont_do_it_doug.

Im looking to spend roughly £80. Preferably with an optical input for my PS3 and a 3.5mm jack for my PC. Yes I'm aware that won't grant me true 5.1 but I can't afford to invest in a soundcard just yet.

Any clues? Needs to have a built in amp. Not a lot of cash to blow I know but the room is only 3m by 3m.

A decent 2.1 system would be adequate if you think I'll get more bang for my buck.

Help me VT, you're my only hope....

I've got a Turtle Beach headset which cost me a little over £80 and offers fantastic sound quality. Don't have any real idea when it comes to dedicated sound systems though...other than my headset, I have my PC speakers (which are 5.1 but only use 2.1 when plugged in for my PS3...I don't know the technical reasons why :lol: ) hooked into my monitor which I play my PS3 on.

I've got a Turtle Beach headset which cost me a little over £80 and offers fantastic sound quality. Don't have any real idea when it comes to dedicated sound systems though...other than my headset, I have my PC speakers (which are 5.1 but only use 2.1 when plugged in for my PS3...I don't know the technical reasons why :lol: ) hooked into my monitor which I play my PS3 on.

I can probably answer that for you. To get true 5.1 you need a digital signal. At a guess you're using the phono out from your PS3 or a jack from your tv? The only ports on the PS3 that carry digital sound are the HDMI and the optical interface.

I think! Im a data engineer not an av engineer so this is all self taught waffle.

Those headphones look the bollocks for those late night watches/plays. Next month maybe. Cheers dude.

I have these Logitech speakers

I put my PC and Xbox through them and I couldn't be happier. Get proper 5.1 from the Xbox and decent enough sound from the PC. I really like them. I do have an audio interface that I sometimes use to get true 5.1 but not on a day to day basis.

Great value for money.

Nice one, serious bang/buck ratio. What connections on the amp (which im guessing is in the sub?). No idea what's on an Xbox anymore.

At that kind of money a headset is probably your best bet, especially if down the road you'll be wanting to invest in a serious sound system.

Turtle Beaches are the name people gun for, and they are apparently pretty good on their midrange up products. Their PS3 compatible range all have 'P' in the name - for example PX21 are PS3 and 360 compatible, as are the XP500s (the first letter designates the console they were initially aimed at, in effect). And a fair few of their models work with things like blu-ray players and the like IIRC.

Â