The 2012 Villatalk Mock Draft

It does exactly what it says on the tin. We take it in turns drafting the 1st round as to who we think should be drafted, not necessarily who WILL be drafted there.

Indianapolis Colts - Andrew Luck - QB (Dante)

Washington Redskins - Robert Griffin III - QB (irreverentad)

Minnesota Vikings - Matt Kalil - OT (mole86)

Cleveland Browns - Ryan Tannehill - QB (kkr)

Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Trent Richardson - RB (Dante)

St. Louis Rams - Justin Blackmon - WR (irreverentad)

Jacksonville Jaguars - Morris Claiborne - CB (mole86)

Miami Dolphins - Michael Floyd - WR (irreverentad)

Carolina Panthers - Fletcher Cox - DT (Dante)

Buffalo Bills - Riley Reiff - OT (mole86)

Kansas City Chiefs - Quinton Coples - DE (irreverentad)

Seattle Seahawks - Luke Kuechly - ILB (Dante)

Arizona Cardinals - Jonathon Martin - OT (mole86)

Dallas Cowboys - Mark Barron - S (irreverentad)

Philadelphia Eagles - Dontari Poe - DT (Dante)

New York Jets - Melvin Ingram - OLB (mole86)

Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland Raiders) - David DeCastro - OG (kkr)

San Diego Chargers - Nick Perry - OLB/DE (Dante)

Chicago Bears - Cordy Glenn - OT (irreverentad)

Tennessee Titans - Stephon Gilmore - CB (mole86)

Cincinnati Bengals - Kendall Wright - WR (Dante)

Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta Falcons) - Michael Brockers - DT (kkr)

Detroit Lions - Dre Kirkpatrick - CB (Dante)

Pittsburgh Steelers - Dont'a Hightower - ILB (mole86)

Denver Broncos - Devon Still - DT (Dante)

Houston Texans - Corby Fleener - TE (irreverentad)

New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints) -

Green Bay Packers -

Baltimore Ravens -

San Francisco 49ers -

New England Patriots -

New York Giants -

With the 1st pick in the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select...

Andrew Luck

Stanford

Quarterback

No surprises. Luck is touted as being the most NFL ready QB in a long time. He fits the 'Manning' mould at the Colts and is much more of a pocket passer than Griffin III is. He would give a familiarity to the offence which is what Irsay wants. How he will fair in his first season is very much open to interpretation. The Colts have lost Addai, Clark, Tamme, Garcon.. Reggie Wayne resigned which is a huge bonus, a lot of weapons have gone though. He goes in with a lot of pressure on his shoulders and expectations are high. How his first season will go depends on how the Colts draft in my opinion.

With the Second pick of the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the Washington Redskins select...

Robert Griffin III

Baylor

Quarterback

Again, no suprise as they gambled the house on him. Athletic and dynamic. I actually think long term he will be a good fit for the Skins. This season will be bumpy in a tough division. The signing of Garcon helps but is not enough to massively upgrade a poor receiving core. Although I think he will push the Skins into the playoffs the season after next.

I'll join with this if that's ok. Minnesota Vikings select....

Matt Kalil

USC

Offensive Tackle

No real surprise with this, they may be tempted to go for Blackmon to give Ponder a target but, seeing as he's going to be their guy this year at least, they need to better protect him to give him a chance to do anything.

Next pick is the one which could shape the whole draft in my opinion...

With the 4th pick in the 2012 NFL Draft the Cleveland Browns select......

QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M.

Richardson and Blackmon seem to be popular selections here, but i dont think Cleveland want to pass on a potential Franchise QB. Is Colt Mccoy that guy? Probably not. Can Tannehill be the man? I dont know, but i doubt Holmgren would enjoy passing on this guy only to see him go elsewhere and turn out to be a star.

They have another selection later in the draft and have a lot of holes so it wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down also. For the purpose of this draft though they select Tannehill and we already have 3 QB's of the board!

Up next the Buccs.......

With the 5th pick in the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select...

Trent Richardson

Alabama

Running Back

Tampa could easily go in a different direction and select Morris Claiborne here, they have arguably the 2 premier players of this years draft (excluding Quarterbacks) available to pick. As good as Claiborne looks (and he looks like a future shut down corner), I have the Bucs going for Richardson. The guy is a beast and is already being dubbed the new Adrian Peterson. That's some praise considering how dominant AP has been. They do have LaGarette Blount on the books, but Richardson is a different kind of runner altogether, and we all saw how Tampa struggled when LB went down. Richardson can also come out of the backfield and act as a receiver so it is immediately another target for Josh Freeman.

With the 6th pick in the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the St. Louis Rams select...

Justin Blackmon

Oklahoma St.

Wide Receiver

I think this is a huge pick for the Rams. Bradford needs a star receiver this kid will fill the need. Explosive runner, Excellent hands and proper playmaker. This pick will also define whether Bradford could ever be an elite QB.

With the 7th pick in the VT Mock Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Morris Claiborne

LSU

Cornerback

Very much a case of a player being too good to pass on, though the Jags would have been looking at improving their pass rush. The first real sign of how pivotal Cleveland's selection is to the rest of the draft, Jags would not have been expecting Claiborne still on the board here.

With the 8th pick in the VT Mock Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

Michael Floyd

Notre Dame

WR

I think this pick may even be traded if Tannehill is off the board as the Dolphins desperately need a QB. However, they also need a Marshall replacement. Floyd looks like a solid receiver.

Although if he does go to Miami, with the lack of any decent QB, I expect never to hear of him again.

With the 9th pick in the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the Carolina Panthers select...

Fletcher Cox

Mississippi State

Defensive Tackle

While no Ndamukong Suh, Cos is the best in his position at this years draft. The Panthers have a need for a DT and if Cox is available (which he should be) I can see them snapping him up. The guy is naturally big and strong, and can still grow bigger and stronger. If he develops as he is expected then he could be a force to be reckoned with for years to come and a dominant force for the Panthers front 7.

With the 11th pick in the VT 2012 Mock Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...

Quinton Coples

North Carolina

DE

Struggled with this one. I think KC could do with a bit of help on Defence. He is also one of the best players left due to his disruptive power. Consistency problems apparantly but has a lot of raw talent. A 'meh' pick for me.

With the 12th pick in the 2012 VT Mock Draft, the Seattle Seahawks select...

Luke Kuechly

Boston College

Linebacker

The Seahawks have a few holes to fill, but non more-so than LB. If Kuechly falls to them at the 12th pick they can't afford to pass on him. He's the top at his position going into the draft and made a good impression at the combine. Seattle need intelligent players and people with a good off-field ethic, Kuechly is that guy.

With the 13th pick in the 2012 VT Mock Draft, the Arizona Cardinals select...

Jonathon Martin

Stanford

Offensive Tackle

Offensive line is a big need for the Cardinals, now Reiff is off the board they will take the next best in Martin. Now they are having to go with Kolb or Skelton, protecting the QB becomes even more important.

With the 15th pick in the 2012 VT Mock Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select...

Dontari Poe

Memphis

Defensive Tackle

The Eagles have a hole to fill on the D-line and Poe could be their long term fix for it. He is amazingly strong (44 reps @ 225lbs at the combine) and shows a lot of potential. Having just drafted for DeMeco Ryans you'd have to assume that they would pass on a linebacker in the first round, although you never know.

I'm still hoping Poe will fall to the Steelers.

With the 16th pick in the 2012 VT Mock Draft, the New York Jets select...

Melvin Ingram

Illinois

Defensive End

Jets really need to upgrade their pass rush and will be very happy Ingram is still on the board. I also toyed with a wide receiver here but any of those still available would probably be a bit of a reach at 16.

Â