2012 Browns Notes

leviramsey

Shurmur: Browns to move forward with McCoy

The Cleveland Browns have decide to move forward with Colt McCoy as their starting quarterback, according to ProFootballtalk.

“At this point, he’s our quarterback,” said team head coach Pat Shurmur, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. ”We’re looking forward to him being our guy and I’m looking forward to seeing him improve. We believe he has a chance to be a fine player in this league.”

Shurmur’s comments indicate that the squad is not likely to draft a quarterback next month. It is believed instead that they are likely to target Oklahoma State wide receiver Justin Blackmon or Alabama running back Trent Richardson, two players who would complement McCoy in the team’s offensive attack.

In his second season in the NFL, McCoy threw 14 touchdowns for 2,733 yards in 13 games. However a controversial concussion cut his 2011 season short. During his career with the Browns he has played in 21 games and thrown 20 touchdowns for 4,309 yards.

what else are they going to do I guess. Lost out on RG3 (were never really going to win that, and I am glad they didn't given what Washington paid - we have too many holes to afford losing multiple years of 1st round picks), I don't think they were interested in Flynn (rightly so, same as Colt only more expensive), and that is about it.

I am not convinced by Tannehill at 4 because he can't start for a year at the earliest and really has a lot of bust potential, and we need to turn our early round picks into starters. The roster is very young, and adding young starters and re-signing quality starters (Thomas, DQuell - we don't have many) and finding a quarterback next year (deep QB class and a lot of teams have committed to QBs last year) somehow.

Slow and steady wins the race. This team was so old and bad it really will take time.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor central:

#1--The Eagles are talking to the Browns about moving up so they can get Tannehill. Vick is on his last legs and they feel they can develop Tannehill in a year or two. If so, this will be the 4th time in 5 years that the Browns have traded OUT of the top 10. (No wonder they dont have any playmakers.)

#2--The Browns are interested in Tannehill.(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo......!!!!!!!)

They dont have that much faith in Colt McCoy (obvious by going after RG3 and Flynn), and see potential there, and its the ONE guy that they havent mentioned at all. Some say he can be a franchise QB.

Tannehill will be flying into Cleveland this week for the courtesy visit.

(kkr I will hold you personally responsible if they draft him. You jinxed me!)

Schedules released----

Sun., Sept. 9 PHILADELPHIA EAGLES – FOX 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 16 at Cincinnati Bengals – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Sept. 23 BUFFALO BILLS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Thur., Sept. 27 at Baltimore Ravens – NFLN 8:20 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 7 at New York Giants – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 14 CINCINNATI BENGALS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 21 at Indianapolis Colts – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Oct. 28 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 4 BALTIMORE RAVENS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 11 BYE WEEK

Sun., Nov. 18 at Dallas Cowboys – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Nov. 25 PITTSBURGH STEELERS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 2 at Oakland Raiders – CBS 4:15 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 9 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS – CBS 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 16 WASHINGTON REDSKINS – FOX 1:00 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 23 at Denver Broncos – CBS 4:05 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 30 at Pittsburgh Steelers – CBS 1:00 p.m.

I'm thinking 5-11, at best. Ouch.

Anywhere between 4-12 and 8-8. If the D plays well like last season they might hold on to the tight games that the offense can pool enough points to win. Most likely 4-12 though!

#2--The Browns are interested in Tannehill.(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo......!!!!!!!)

They dont have that much faith in Colt McCoy (obvious by going after RG3 and Flynn), and see potential there, and its the ONE guy that they havent mentioned at all. Some say he can be a franchise QB.

Tannehill will be flying into Cleveland this week for the courtesy visit.

(kkr I will hold you personally responsible if they draft him. You jinxed me!)

It is inevitable! :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...

I am not looking forward to watching Brandon Weeden. He's Andy Dalton at best, and although Dalton is solid, he's also like 6 years younger. I would have much rather spent the pick on another lineman for Colt McCoy. I think he would have been fine once he got some targets/protection. (Plus Richardson will be a hogg.)

I've read Benjamin has been hustling as well in practice.

• 4 weeks later...

Jim Brown questions Lerner

Jim Brown has not been shy of late when it comes to criticizing members of the organization he helped define.

He has taken on Cleveland Browns President Mike Holmgren. He was not impressed with the Browns' selection of Trent Richardson. In an interview with NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Friday, Brown criticized owner Randy Lerner's management style.

"I think that the owner, and I have to be very candid with you, is trying to turn all the power over to someone else. I don't think that's possible," Brown said. "I think that the owner is ultimately going to be the leader and I think until Randy takes that position, it's going to be difficult.

"Holmgren is a fine executive, but he is not the owner, and I think the players know that. So I think the players feel that they don't have that top dog sitting there in that office so they can feel that they have great leadership from the top. There's always a question mark when your owner is in England."

Holmgren does take on responsibilities that are unique for a man in his position. He often represents the Browns at the league's owners' meetings instead of Lerner.

Right or wrong, Holmgren truly is the one under the most pressure to turn around the organization. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and the team has drafted very well the past two years despite its poor win-loss record.

We reached out to the Browns for comment, but they declined. They are surely tired of hearing Brown take on the organization. (The team and Brown had a falling out after perceived slights in 2010.)

Browns fans also have likely grown tired of Brown's attacks on his longtime employer.

Then again, speaking his mind always defined Brown. That attitude made him alternately beloved, feared, and respected during his playing days. Not much has changed.

Of course, there might have been a good reason for Randy to have been in England in recent weeks, Jim...

dawgs by nature is great, but for message boards try www.cle.scout.com, aka the Orange and Brown Report.

the boards are ok, plenty of good stuff to talk about. usually the first page or two of a topic is good, then it can degenerate into a couple of arguments, but usually there is pretty good, well though posts. The moderators/contributors are excellent as well.

and depending on your level of knowledge, the pure football forum is good too.

From Colt McCoys brother Case: RT @CaseMcCoy6 Good luck Brandon! Fan of you, but my brother's pulling the lucky straw on this one! Cleveland is only going downhill!

Sounds like Colt is packing his bags as we speak, stay tuned.

Â