Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Designer1

Just picked this up after reading some very positive reviews. Seems right up my particular fantasy/RPG street but with what's been described as 'God of War' like combat. Sounds like a heady mix, and hopefully it will work.

Anyone else played it yet? thoughts?

IGN Review here

Talk from regular customers at our store (which was woefully understocked on this in the end - the demand seemed to really really underestimated) is that it's a more grown up Fable with sprinkled with Elder Scrolls flavouring, and that it's huge. Nobody's traded in a copy yet, which is unusual.

I've heard from some reviews and web comments that it's pretty much too big, GiantBomb certainly made that point, you lose interest in playing before you come near 100%ing it.

My own thoughts, having quickly played a bit, is that I find the thing very... plain.

But I don't think it's going to disappoint many people.

I've been enjoying it. 27 hours in and I've only scraped the surface, although I am exploring everything and taking every quest along the way (there are lots).

I love the crafting system, with the salvaging and such. The weapons look great too and I'm a big fan of the combat.

I would say that this is a prime example of what Fable could have been. Fantastic game thus far in my opinion. It doesn't do anything new, yet it does everything so well that it really doesn't matter.

I'm playing it; around 20 hours in with a full finesse character. It's a strange one. The story is dull, generic, and I'm yet to come across a quest that has made me laugh or kept my attention. The difficulty tuning is also disappointing, I'm playing on hard and yet to die, there have been a few hairy moments against magic user ambushes, but generally it's pretty much a breeze through without much thought and similar enemy attack patterns throughout.

All that said, and this might sound crazy as the major fundamentals of the game are a bit bland, but it's somehow really good fun. I've accepted that the story isn't really a thing and I'm taking it for what it is: great combat (you feel like quite a bad ass). As a rogue, the sneaky attacks are pretty satisfying; well thought up talent trees, ridiculous amount of quests and items, strange Irish accents and some excellent artwork and really nice environments to investigate.

I'd recommend giving it a go if you've got a load of time - It seems to be quite a huge game.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished this last night. I would have gone for Platinum trophy but I sort of messed up, not realising that to get one of the trophies you needed to start the game on hard and couldn't be changed during playing. Annoying as I switched over to hard about two hours into it. Can't really be bothered to play through it all again.

Anyway, a pretty solid game. A fun adventure for the time you invest into it. I just got to the level cap and missed hundreds of quests/dungeons and more or less an entire zone and faction. After 40 odd hours though, the combat started to get pretty repetitive and I started messing around with various hybrid specs, archmage specs and it sort of ruined it a bit as I started as a rogue, it didnt really feel right... but i felt like I needed to change combat style to just keep me interested.

The story was, umm... fairly underwhelming and forgettable, not very interesting. The last boss was just... a joke really. Obviously, don't want to spoil anything, but there's really not much to spoil, it's all very straight forward.

I've come across quite negative but I actually had a good time with it and am pleased to have played through it all; a lot of effort has gone into the game and I hear there's a lot of DLC planned in the future: higher level cap, new zones, monsters, quests. I'm not too sure if I'll go back to it though.

Â