Trans Siberian, Mongolian rail

Wainy316

Has anybody ever done this?

Although my travel plans change almost daily this is something I'd really like to do. My route would probably be from Beijing to Moscow.

I have seen various tickets for sale on this but they look to be direct. Does anybody know if this is feasbile to do with various stop offs?

Thanks.

Has anybody ever done this?

Although my travel plans change almost daily this is something I'd really like to do. My route would probably be from Beijing to Moscow.

I have seen various tickets for sale on this but they look to be direct. Does anybody know if this is feasbile to do with various stop offs?

Thanks.

This wonderful site will tell you just about anything you need to know about the journey. And pretty much any train journey you'll want to take anywhere in the world! I've had it bookmarked for years - I posted it on this site a few years ago - but haven't had occasion to use it myself until last week. Booked a journey Singapore-Kuala Lumpur for a week Saturday using the info on there.

That'll be the start of a four month odyssey taking in SEA and NZ and I'm sure I'll be availing myself of its comprehensive info again soon. The other good thing about it is that it gets kept up to date.

It's all here

:thumb:

Thanks a lot, this site is great. It looks like it will contain absolutely everything I will need regarding the actual travel.

Getting myself pretty excited for this now, hope I end up doing it.

You can probably clearly tell I've been watching Long Way Round.

I did it back in August .. well the UB to Beijing part of it .. a mere 36 hours

If you plan on going to Russia allow yourself a couple of days in UB for a look around ..if you want to go full native and sleep in a Ger then allow a few more days

I'm glad I did it but to be honest I wasn't blown away by it .. mainly full of westerners who locked themselves in their cabins fell asleep and never came out apart from at the stops to grab a pot noodle and a drink ..Some nice views of the Gobi and surrounding hillside but due to dust they bolt shut all the train windows when you pass through so you wont get any decent photo's and at times couldn't really see a lot due to the swirl

3 days later I took the train from Xining to Lhasa (Qinghai Railway) and that was without doubt the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life (travel wise that is , usual wife kids disclaimer :-) ) no mean feet for someone that has been to 80+ countries now

.. you are up in the mountains , above the clouds as times , the scenery is breathtaking ( quite literally due to being at 5000m at times !!) we were the only westerners on the train and the Chinese were sharing tea , sweets and photos with us as well as practising their English ... Walking down to 3rd class which was full of toothless Tibetan old ladies they were all laughing at how white I was and coming up to me and touching my skin and my fair hair .. the young kids could speak English and chatted away .. so not just the views but the whole experience ..

Â