Argentina

CVByrne

I'm headed to Argentina next on my round the world trip. Heading south from BA along the coast to patagonia then up along the andes. Has anyone got advice on the good places to stop that would be missing from my lonely planet guide for south america.

Thanks

Argentinas a great place mate. Hope this helps this is what I sent my mate a few weeks ago as he is going in next few days. It all depends what you want to do.

Patagonia is a fantastic and interesting travel highlight of Argentina, and is great for adventure activities, hiking, trekking and generally enjoying the great outdoors.

Patagonia is an enormous region containing many different tourist destinations, the best places to visit being Bariloche, El Calafate, the Valdes Peninsula and Tierra del Fuego.

Bariloche is the closest to Buenos Aires (still a very long way to go if you travel by bus though). In Bariloche you’ll find mountains and lakes suitable for outdoor activities such as hiking, boating, playing golf or even skiing during the winter. Further South is El Calafate, where most people visit for the outdoor activities, and in particular to see the spectacular scenery surrounding some enormous glaciers. To the East, on Argentina’s Atlantic coast, is the Valdes Peninsula, a place that it is best to visit from mid June to November as this is the whale watching period.

September to October are the best months to visit the Valdes Peninsula, as you’ll likely be able to see baby whales, plus it’s the seal breeding season. The Valdes Peninsula is great for wildlife watching vacations in Argentina. Furthest South in Patagonia is Tierra del Fuego, the Southernmost point in South America - this is another good destination for outdoor activities, but the other three places in Patagonia that I have already mentioned are probably better to visit for most tourists.

Buenos Aires is cool as. Not much in the way of scenery, but it's got a run-down European feel to it, and it's very lively.

Steak in Argentina tends to be aged properly and tastes the way it should, unlike steak in most other places, so enjoy.

Bariloche and the road North from there is awesome, and the bus ride across the Andes from Mendoza to Santiago is **** amazing.

A gram of cocaine will cost about the same as a pint of imported Guinness, if you're into that sort of thing (Guinness, I mean).

Â