Winter city breaks

gilbertoAVFC

Girlfriend and I are thinking of going on a long weekend over our Xmas breaks (about four weeks that runs mid-way between Dec up til the same time in Jan), but with us both being students we don't have an awful lot in our bank accounts (GET A JOB!).

Thought about Copenhagen which looks nice and reasonably priced accomodation and flights but apparently it's about £7 a pint and everything else ain't much cheaper either.

Anybody got any decent recommendations that won't involve me having to live off Asda Smart Price meatballs for the remainder of the year? We're not the type to go for the real romantic places, just somewhere maybe with a decent atmosphere around that sort of time that isn't ridiculously expensive to have a few drinks.

Cheers.

Well Berlin is very cheap and you should be able to get cheap flights. Before Xmas they have the xmas markets etc.

Cologne is also a really nice city and really beautiful before christmas with the markets etc. and more picturesque than Berlin with a beautiful old town. Depends on what you are looking for.

Germany wins hands down for the Winter stuff. But Berlin is not as cheap as it once was for beer. Was there recently and its a 4-5 Euro a pop for a pint these days in many bars

Budapest.

not in winter tbh .. I was there one New Years eve and had to put the champagne in the fridge to warm it up ..

Copenhagen i found a tad dull tbh , but Tivoli gardens was shut when i went so I missed out on that attraction

I have a soft spot for Germany and not just for them kicking the crap out of France , I'm more of a Munich man over Berlin but both are enjoyable places

Â