An Interview with an Everton Fan

Cracker1234

1) Is the season going as you expected?

Sadly no, although looking back expectations were way too high at the start of the season. Even though we'd done nothing worth mentioning again in the summer transfer window, optimism was extremely high due to the great run we'd gone on from January onwards the previous season. If the season had only been counted on the second half of the campaign we'd of been in the top 3. We signed Beckford and a few youngsters and that's it, but there was a feel we had the pieces in place to still push certainly at the very least to get back into the Europa League. We had the first 3 games of the season against Blackburn, Wolves and yourselves, and there was a feel we'd take 7-9 points from those.

Then August came along and 3 games in we had 1 point, despite dominating all three games we simply could not score, and individual errors at the other end were costing us. None more so than Howard gifting Blackburn a goal on the opening day. Next game was United at home, and we were 3-1 down going into injury time at the end of the game. Two goals salvaged a point from the match and again there was a feel, right we're going on a run now, even though we only had taken 2 points from 4 games we were still playing well. Next game Newcastle at home, and Everton just didn't look even slightly interested. An absolute disgrace of a 'performance' and we lost 1-0. It's been the tale of the whole season, false dawns followed by a pathetic performance the next game.

2) What have the highlights and lowlights of the season been for you so far?

Highlights:

Best one would be Everton 2 - 0 Liverpool, we battered them everywhere that day. We've been picking up a few wins here and there against them, but that was the first time in a long time we simply played them off the park.

Special mentions also to the 2-1 win at City, the penalty win at Chelsea, 2-1 at home to Spurs and the comeback against United at Goodison.

Lowlights:

4-1 loss at home to West Brom, the performances and manner of the defeats at home against Newcastle and Arsenal (the players just didn't look like they cared), getting dumped out of the cup by Reading after beating Chelsea... Too long a list to name them all.

3) I know it's been a while now but Everton were really quiet in the window. Are the fans getting bored of (at least to an outsider) only ever selling players and promoting the youth, instead of investing regularly in new blood?

Very much so. The worry is the last years under the current board has been sell to buy. This last transfer window we sold to balance the books/reduce the wage bill. We had a small enough squad as it was, to then sell Pienaar and let Yakubu go out on loan without replacing them...It's unacceptable and we're only heading one way - to mid table mediocrity.

4) Speaking of youth, Villa have non too shabby a record of bringing through youngsters that go on to shine in the Premiership - what are you making of your latest crop to take the headlines? Anybody who's a real star for the future?

Obviously Rodwell and Coleman, but they've been in the first team a while now.

The next big hope is Barkley, although he was very close to getting a few chances off the bench at 16/17 he then broke his leg... At that age to miss so much development... We'll just have to see how he recovers.

There's big hopes for Magaye Gueye who we signed last summer too.

5) Everton usually find themselves in and around the 6th place battle - do you think you are going to make a late run for Europe this season and if not will you be content with a top 10 finish?

There was a hope for a while, but I simply don't think we're consistent enough to do so. It would be nice to finish above 'that lot' across the park, for them to have their worst side in 20 years and yet we somehow manage to still be worse than them, is very hard to take.

6) What are your thoughts on David Moyes? It seems like Villa get linked with him every season but do you think he's hit his ceiling at Everton now, and if not what would it take for you to push higher in the league?

Personally I'm getting very bored of the dull predictable rubbish we serve up week in week out. We need to change something. Ideally that would be the board and then give Moyes a bit of ££££ to spend, but I personally can't see Kenwright ever giving up his train-set so that's unlikely. Maybe it's time for a change of manager then? It would be a big gamble, Moyes has done a good job but we are going backwards now again.

7) Who is going to be your main dangerman when we play?

It depends who's fit! We're struggling to have 11 senior players fit for the game. But one man who should play is Leighton Baines. The vast majority of our goals are set up from his left boot.

8) What are your weaknesses, any clues for the game will be appreciated :-)

We have a dodgy keeper, a leaky defence, the leagues worst wide players, a potential Neville - Heitinga central midfield partnership, and worst of all the threat of Victor Anichebe leading the line if both Saha and Cahill aren't fit (which is very possible). That enough for you?!??! There is also a 50/50 chance this season the players will show up and just not be bothered at all.

9) Will you have anyone out who would otherwise play?

The quicker question to answer would be do we have anybody not out? But I'll try anyway.

Fellaini - out for the season.

Rodwell - will struggle to be back before may.

Arteta - 3 weeks into a 6 week injury.

Saha - also likely played his last game this season.

Coleman - Pulled out of international duty, although may be fit.

Cahill - As above.

Distin - Struggling with a bad knee but probably will be fit.

I expect the last 3 will be rushed back and play as otherwise we simply don't have 11 senior players left.

10) How much have you enjoyed seeing Villa struggle this season?

I don't actually have anything against Villa specifically, but there are a few players there, specifically a certain Ashley Young, who I very much enjoy seeing fail. But I'd much rather see Villa finish top 4 than any of Spurs, City or Liverpool though.

Now with a slightly more Claret and Blue angle...

11) Given our recent results do you think Villa have enough about them to beat the drop?

Yes. Without a doubt. The quality of the league is so poor this season. I'd be very surprised to see you lower than 10th come the end.

12) What have you made of our youth promotions this season, anybody really caught the eye for you?

I've not seen a lot of Villa this season, but Albrighton and Clark seem to be two with a lot of potential.

13) Who has stood out most from our recent acquisitions for you?

The obvious one, D. Bent. A fantastic player for me, a big fee but that's what you have to pay for a 20+ goals a season striker.

14) If you could take one of our players, who would it be and why?

D. Bent. He'd be an ideal player for us, also Ashley Young despite the fact I despise him would be nice too.

15) Who do you see as our main threat in the game?

Young, he seems to take great pleasure in tearing our defence to pieces at Goodison.

16) Where would you say our current weaknesses are in terms of how you will approach the match?

The manager, Houllier doing something ridiculous is our best chance of winning the match with the injuries we have. I couldn't believe it when Villa appointed the clown.

17) Finally, a prediction please kind sir...

3-3.

High scoring game, if I had to pick a winner it would be Villa. We have little to play for and too many injuries.

VitalVilla

Agreed, apart from saying the league is poor this season. It's much closer and harder to see who will be where - the competition is fierce. I can see why a team with little to play for this season would think it isn't exciting.. but even though I hate where we are it is an exciting end to the season for teams at both end of the table and even those in the middle as nobody is out of either the Relegation Battle or European Battle. Every team is arguably still in it with something to possibly fight for imo.

I don't agree with a chunk of what he says, to be honest, Then again, I don't seem to agree with many Everton fans on anything. Amount of times I come back thinking I've watched a different game than people on forums and twitter, etc. :lol:

I don't agree with a chunk of what he says, to be honest, Then again, I don't seem to agree with many Everton fans on anything. Amount of times I come back thinking I've watched a different game than people on forums and twitter, etc. :lol:

What would you disagree with?

Is that why you spend so much time on a Villa site?? Over a 1,000 posts a year to a site for a team that you don't follow is huge. Do you do you do this with any other site/team?

Agreed, apart from saying the league is poor this season.

I think he meant the standard of the league is poor, which it is. Looking for proof, answer this: How many games did one of the worst united teams in years go unbeaten?

Agreed, apart from saying the league is poor this season.

I think he meant the standard of the league is poor, which it is. Looking for proof, answer this: How many games did one of the worst united teams in years go unbeaten?

Only to be beaten by Wolves.

Blackpool beating anybody and everybody also comes to mind.

What would you disagree with?

Is that why you spend so much time on a Villa site?? Over a 1,000 posts a year to a site for a team that you don't follow is huge. Do you do you do this with any other site/team?

Well, for a start our first 3 games were Blackburn A, Wolves H and you A, not Man Utd and Newcastle.

I disagree about his opinions on some of our players and I definitely disagree with what he says about Moyes.

Yes, cos I'm on here all the time aren't I? I've barely been on here at all this season and when I post it is mainly in the other football forum, or general chat. I came on here years ago to pass on thanks for your support at the game as they warmly received some disabled teams that came on the pitch during half time of a game against you. I was warmly welcomed and encouraged to come back. I don't go around causing hassle and arguing with people. I come on and try and give my honest opinion on things from an different perspective. Don't worry, after tomorrow I'll disappear again.

Â