Accomodation in Amsterdam

Undesirable

I'm going out to Amsterdam in April with a group of mates and we're looking at staying in an affordable hotel or a decent hostel for a few nights, it needs to be fairly central so we can all find the place after a night out. Has anyone who's been the Amsterdam recommend anywhere that's good?

Some of the cheapest places to stay are floating "Boatel's! rather than traditional hotels.

Advantages are they are central, cheap places to get a head down after a night out. If thats all you want after a late night, then they're fine. Can be a bit chilly in winter. I think last time I went, without pre booking, we only paid 20-30€, pp.

Some of the cheapest places to stay are floating "Boatel's! rather than traditional hotels.

Advantages are they are central, cheap places to get a head down after a night out. If thats all you want after a late night, then they're fine. Can be a bit chilly in winter. I think last time I went, without pre booking, we only paid 20-30€, pp.

I saw one of these, very intriguing!

I was going to suggest the Flying Pig Downtown hostel but to be fair for the money they charge for a bed in a 10 person room you can probably get a hotel room for a little bit more and not have to listen to drugged up traveling rich boys harp on about how amazing New Zealand is whilst eating your breakfast or enjoying the local herbs. You going for Queen's day?

I've stopped at the Euphemia Hotel, Hotel Hortus and Globe Hotel/Hostel in Amsterdam, all of which should be pretty cheap. The first was alright, the second had bedbugs, and the latter was pretty good (central location, nice area to smoke/drink outside by the canal, bar downstairs with sports, friendly staff) but the room could get a bit too warm. I'd recommend it, though, if you're not looking for anything special.

I've stopped at the Euphemia Hotel, Hotel Hortus and Globe Hotel/Hostel in Amsterdam, all of which should be pretty cheap. The first was alright, the second had bedbugs, and the latter was pretty good (central location, nice area to smoke/drink outside by the canal, bar downstairs with sports, friendly staff) but the room could get a bit too warm. I'd recommend it, though, if you're not looking for anything special.

Just got an e-mail from Trip Advisor, titled 2011's Dirtiest Hotels. Number 10 on the list is The Globe hotel. Sounds lovely :lol:

Thanks for the input people. We're going to book a couple of appartments, they're fairly cheap and most are smoker friendly which will be a massive bonus for the crew i'm going there with. It also means we don't have to worry about getting up in time for breakfast.

Sounds like a good choice mate, how much are you looking at for an apartment? Might be worth me looking into it for future trips with my mates. Plus then you've got somewhere to drink cheapish booze before going out.

Â