Florida (Disney)

bully

Disney isn't really my cuppa tea but the missus and kids are mad to go so thinking of going around Easter next year. I know that is the dearest time of year but can't avoid it because of work/school holidays.

There are 5 of us and some of the prices I've seen so far, for Disney hotels in particular, are **** astronomical. So fellow VTers I need your advice and tips please, where to stay, eat, visit, travel etc etc etc

I'm thinking Florida for 1 week and New York for another as I have relations there but is 1 week enough for Disney etc? (it will be more than enough for me!)

Cheers!

Are you going to be driving? If not, you will probably be better on International Drive as it's easier for catching the bus and walking to places to eat. We are stopping in the Lake Buena Vista area as we have a car and it's a bit nicer.

Are you and your family just wanting to do Disney? If so then a week is fine - but what about Universal Studios, Sea World, Kennedy Space Centre, all the different water parks, big shopping malls, shooting ranges etc.

Looking to go orlando and new york next october for our honeymoon, 7 nights in orlando, not fussed about the disney stuff, 3 nights in new york, all for £1100. Seems decent to me.

Try http://www.holidaygenieflorida.com/

3 of my mates have just done 2 weeks in international drive for £666, don't know how october prices compare to april.

Went to Florida in May with the family. There were 12 of us in total (8 adults and 4 children) so decided on a Villa just off the 192. For the fortnight, paid £2,300 which was extremely good based on the 6 bedrooms and all the facilities we had.

Flight was from Manchester with Thomas Cook, and with 2 x 7 seater car, cost £599 per person.

There are bargains to be found, especially if you book the flight and villa/hotel yourself (rather then a travel agent).

The Disney hotels certainly add to the experience, but you end up paying a hell of a lot on food (unless you decide on Disney Dining - which of course is an extra add on to the initial price).

Yes, the Disney hotels are nice, and the All Star resorts offer 'the cheapest accomodation - but it is still very expensive.

As TamWilla80 said, it's not just Disney, you have the two Universal Parks, Seaworld as well as Discovery Cove to consider and even Busch Gardens if you want to travel further.

Disney offer a variety of tickets - Ultimate, Hopper, Magic Your Way - So it's important you plan which parks you want to visit, and how many times you are looking to go.

For example, the Ultimate allows you into any park numerous times a day and covers either the 7, 14 or 21 days.

The Hopper would just cover the 4 main Disney Parks (so excludes the water parks and Disney Quest) and enables you to visit more then one park a day.

The Magic Your Way is the cheapest, but also limits the number of visits.

Then theres the Orlando Flex Ticket - which covers the Universal/Seaworld/Busch Gardens parks.

You are probably looking at least £200 for your Disney ticket, and around £120 for your Orlando Flex and that is per person - but obviously depends on what type of ticket you decide.

Then of course you have all the problems of should you do character dining at Disney, should you book this tour or that tour. There is so much variety to add to your 'basic' Florida holiday it is unbelievable.

I starting planning our holiday about a year in advance, as most of the dining etc need to be booked 180 days in advance to secure your bookings. If you imagine that over 13 million people visit Magic Kingdom alone each year, you understand why you have to pre-book your dining experience so far in advance.

Bully - I could talk for ages about Florida (I'm kind of a freak when it comes to Florida and Vegas - I just love America).

The best tip I could perhaps give you is check out this web-site - The Dibb

It has guides, maps and lots and lots of information about Disney and Florida in general, and also is a forum, whereby you can ask your questions and get a variety of answers. I hate to admit it, but I spend just as much time on there, as I do here.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more details.

I only got back from the States around three weeks ago. I spent the last four days of my holiday in Florida, yet I didn't even go to Disney World. I have been before though and had a brilliant time there.

This time I spent most of the days in 'Universal Studios' (which is becoming slightly dated now) and 'Islands of Adventure' (home to the 'Wizarding World of Harry Potter'). If I was you then I would spare at least one day to go around these two parks.

With regards to accommodation, bargains can often be found on International Drive. Then there is the possibility to rent a villa, as other have said. If you are looking for a hotel on actual Disney property, then I think the cheapest ones would be in the 'All-Star' range of hotels. I have actually stayed in them on one visit and they are rather good for the price. Plus, you usually get some form of ticket included if you stay on a Disney property (I think - it has been years since I went to Disney).

Wherever you stay though, you will have a brilliant time. I very much doubt that you will spend much time in your accommodation as there is so much to do and see in Orlando alone. You will easily take up one week there and I bet you will enjoy it a lot more than you think. You're never too old for Disney.... :D

Anyway, good luck with getting it all sorted.

• 3 weeks later...

Bully I just spent ay ear living and working for Disney and lived in the surrounding area. If you have any other questions about anything in regards to travel, places to eat/stay etc just fire me a PM and I will do my best to answer everything! And yes your right Easter is a wee busy there as the park is taken over by England. Its not the worst time of the year though and you can still do it all without much frustration. A week is about right with kids as you need atleast 1 day per park but youll most likely end up going back to one or 2 as well for various reasons. I also might be able to assist in some prices with hotel within the park as I still have friends working down there.

Its hit and miss to be honest. There was a 3 week period over Christmas time last year where it was only getting to 2 or 3 C in Orlando. Even snowed in the northern part of the state. Was a real weird winter in Florida. Normally its how Usvilla describes it. However, dont plan on going to the Disney parks during christmas. I strongly recomend against it. 95,000 in magic kingdom no thanks. All the parks are near or at capacity its disgusting really.

Cheers guys, especially Peever, but plans have changed so we are not going at Easter now. Will be going sometime in the not too distant future though so I'll be back.................

Â