Squad Registration for PL and UCL 2024/25

SJSharky

Posted (edited)

I was going through the list of our current players and squad registration for both the Premier League and the Champions League next season. I thought I might as well post a few observations in case anyone else finds them interesting or helpful in structuring the current squad.

Non-U21, non-homegrown - Maximum of 17 in both PL and UCL
1. Douglas Luiz
2. McGinn
3. Bailey
4. Torres
5. Diaby
6. Tielemans
7. Kamara
8. Buendia
9. Diego Carlos
10. Digne
11. Moreno
12. Olsen
13. Gauci
14. Zaniolo - probably not in the squad
15. Lenglet - probably not in the squad
(16. Duran - for UCL)
(17. Nedeljkovic - for UCL)
Didn't include: Dendoncker, Coutinho, Hause

Homegrown - Minimum of 8 (incl. club-trained) for a full 25 player squad
1. Martinez
2. Watkins
3. Konsa
4. Mings
5. Cash
6. Rogers - no longer U21 next season
7. Chambers - probably not in the squad

Club-trained - Minimum of 4 for a full 25 player UCL squad A List
1. Ramsey
2. Kesler - no longer U21 next season
3. Archer
4. Sinisalo

U21 - Don't count towards the 25 player limit in PL or UCL, unless mentioned otherwise
Duran - can't be named in UCL B List
Nedeljkovic - can't be named in UCL B List
Sousa - can't be named in UCL B List
Iroegbunam
Kellyman
Others: Marschall, Barry, Bogarde, Revan, Chrisene, Munroe, Feeney, O'Reilly, Young etc...

We're already at a point where we need to pretty much start with moving players out before signing new ones. Rogers and Kesler are no longer considered U21 players next season.

If we want a full A List squad of 25 for UCL, we would need to sign at least one more club-trained player (eg. Grealish, Philogene) (Edit - not true). If we don't keep Ramsey, Kesler, Archer or Sinisalo, we're basically giving away a spot from the UCL squad. Picking Sinisalo as one of the main three keepers would release another spot for an outfield player compared to choosing Olsen and Gauci like we did this season.

Someone like Barkley would add a homegrown player for the PL squad if we're going to be short otherwise. Assuming Chambers is moved on and Archer and Sinisalo are still not considered, we currently have 8 homegrown players for the PL squad. You'd think Martinez, Watkins, Konsa and Rogers are absolute certainties for the next season. Then there are:
Mings and Ramsey - I can only see them not named in the squad/sold if there are serious issues with their recovery, or FFP/PSR reasons in Ramsey's case
Cash and Kesler - not in the squad if Emery deems either not good enough/not suited for the tactics, possibly a loan in Kesler's case

If I understand the registration rules correctly (quite possible that I don't), while Duran, Nedeljkovic and Lino Sousa count as U21 players in the PL, they can not be named in the UCL B List, because they've not been at the club for 2 years. Therefore they would take one of the 17 non-home grown spots.

This season Emery didn't have a full squad and I think he mentioned earlier in the season that he doesn't feel it's necessary to have a 25 man squad, which is probably usually true. It's already difficult to keep everyone happy if you have two players for every position, assuming we have slightly better luck with injuries. Obviously you can also utilise the U21 players.

Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Edited by SJSharky
Corrected Kesler's club-trained status
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm confused, if Duran and Nedelijokovic are both U21, why are they in the first list?

I addressed this later:

56 minutes ago, SJSharky said:

If I understand the registration rules correctly (quite possible that I don't), while Duran, Nedeljkovic and Lino Sousa count as U21 players in the PL, they can not be named in the UCL B List, because they've not been at the club for 2 years. Therefore they would take one of the 17 non-home grown spots.

I didn't go deeper into the registration rules and was wondering myself if we could register Duran in the B List for the knockout phase in 2025 once he's been at the club for two years. The wording wasn't clear on the UEFA site, whether it meant 2 years before the player's first registration or the current registration.

Great post. I spent a lot of time looking at this for Conference League. It’s all far too complicated!

The way I had read the rules last season, you need a 3 year stretch at Villa OR 2 years with a max 1 year loan in between to achieve club trained status. If that is still the case, I’m not sure that Louie Barry is eligible for UEFA List B either.

A few more examples of players not eligible for List B next season are Aidan Borland, Jamaldeen Jimoh-Aloba, Rico Richards, Lander Emery. The first 2 especially you might expect to make the bench in Europe at some point, but they wouldn’t be able to unless we drop a senior player out of the picture.

If we sign Barkley that makes sense to me for homegrown Premier League rule, but I think it pushes one of our senior central or attacking midfielders out of the picture for Europe. Unfortunately I have a feeling that would be Buendia, unless we keep both club trained Sinisalo and Zych for 2nd and 3rd choice keepers and that frees up another outfield spot in on of the 17 “free” players.

It will be interesting to see how it develops over the summer.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, SJSharky said:

Yeah this rule pickled me every year in my FM Villa save where I would sign promising U21 players forgetting they weren't actually very helpful for the UCL squad rules

Edit: I like that you've highlighted the potential importance of activating the buybacks on JPB or Archer for UCL purposes (or even Jack... 🥹)

Edited by juanpabloangel18
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tomav84 said:

kessler should count as club trained now right?

Yes! Thanks for the correction. I'll fix the original post. I had looked his 'date joined' wrong and thought he had been on loan too much to count as club-trained for UCL, but obviously he was a part of the youth team before that.

5 hours ago, East London Villa said:

The way I had read the rules last season, you need a 3 year stretch at Villa OR 2 years with a max 1 year loan in between to achieve club trained status. If that is still the case, I’m not sure that Louie Barry is eligible for UEFA List B either.

Yeah, the same rules AFAIK. You are correct about Barry. I wasn't going to include him in the list originally so forgot to check.

Edited by SJSharky
Added another answer instead of a new post

Â