Dragons Dogma 2

dubbs

So I've been playing this for about 12 hours now.  It's a huge open world RPG, beautifully designed and performing quite well on PS5.  Only being a few hours in I've hardly scratched the surface but there are so many side quests it can be quite confusing about what the main quests are!  Haven't seen a huge amount of variation in the enemies you fight but as I say, early days.  So many mechanics to learn and remember, but thankfully there's lots of YT vids to look at.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Think I've hit a bit of a wall with this at the moment and I'm not massively deep into the story.  It's just a bit fiddly in so many ways.  Some side quests for example are really difficult to progress.  You have what you need to progress, you go to the place you need to be, talk to the right person and nothing!  I end up abandoning them.  The same thing seems to happen with the main quest too but I think I'm at a stage where my next steps will lock some of the game. 

Maybe I just proceed as is and see where it takes me but at the moment it's not grabbed me as much as I hoped it would.

12 hours ago, dubbs said:

Think I've hit a bit of a wall with this at the moment and I'm not massively deep into the story.  It's just a bit fiddly in so many ways.  Some side quests for example are really difficult to progress.  You have what you need to progress, you go to the place you need to be, talk to the right person and nothing!  I end up abandoning them.  The same thing seems to happen with the main quest too but I think I'm at a stage where my next steps will lock some of the game. 

Maybe I just proceed as is and see where it takes me but at the moment it's not grabbed me as much as I hoped it would.

I always love how this type of game can be played by two people with such a difference in experience. Haven't had any of the issues with quests and been having a blast and making my way to the Warfarer vocation.

It's one of the most 'pure' rpgs I've played since...well DD1 😀 and I love how much freedom and lack of hand holding there is.

Combat is great once you can hire some decent Pawns and get the group synergy working well. I've found that after hitting lvl 30, we can take on most mobs without too much hassle.

The only thing I'm still not ok with is the lack of Portcrystals. I don't mind the travelling but I think 4 or 5 at the start of the game would have made things a little more user friendly without sacrificing difficulty.

Really good game otherwise. 

I put about 80 hours into Dragon's Dogma 2, got the true ending, and it was pretty good for the most part. I prefer Dragon's Dogma 1, I think it's a vastly better game in a lot of ways, but Dragon's Dogma 2 definitely wasn't bad, I just think it needs an expansion or two to really make it great. My main issues with the game were the lack of difficulty, a terrible main story, and a severe lack of mob variety.

I didn't mind the Portcrystals being very limited, but I did give Capcom feedback that every main city should have a permanent Portcrystal. There are three permanent crystals in the game at three cities/towns, but two cities/towns that players visit quite a bit do not have one. Now, one could say that you should use your portable Portcrystals for those, but I think having 5 permanent ones, and 5 portable ones to earn through playing is better. I truly believe the portable ones should be for farming. If you find a rare mob in a cave then place a Portcrystal so you can kill it every 3-days when things respawn. 

Overall, Dragon's Dogma 2 was fun and I enjoyed what I played of it, but it needs quite a bit of work and at least one expansion to be something I'd give higher than a 7/10 to. 

Â