Microsoft office subscription

Robtaylor200

Gents I need some advice in layman's terms please 

I brought a lap top about 3 years ago and paid for Microsoft 365 (I think that's what is) I pay about £60 every October

I don't really know why I am paying it or if I even need it

I have a couple of spread sheets for banking and daily planner, keeping track of birthdays and stuff like that. I use Word if I am composing a speech or a long email to copy and post. I have several files of photos from holidays and stuff  

I browse the tinternet

I have been told about the cloud, but I don't understand it (all I know is that some things have been saved there and I cant see them anymore)

My ask is.

What will happen if I stop paying ?

Should I be making more use of what i am paying for ?

Edited by Robtaylor200

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

My ask is.

What will happen if I stop paying ?

Should I be making more use of what i am paying for ?

Very few people need the full power of MS office. If you have a hotmail.com/outlook.com/live.com email address you get a very feature complete version of the Office-suite through your browser. It probably would suite 95% of peoples needs. And all files are saved in Onedrive which is also included. About 5 or so gigabytes I think in the free tier

h6xuZ1q.png

Then you also can go the route of Google if you have a gmail account. Then you get the full blown google version of office and apart form the stuff being in slightly different places than you are used to, everything will be there. You also get slightly more storage-space in the free tier, 15 gigs.

And if you are hell bent on having a local installation of a free office-suite you can use LibreOffice.org
Or the one I prefer. OnlyOffice https://www.onlyoffice.com/download-desktop.aspx?from=desktop

If you need more space you can by just that for cheap at both Microsoft and Google

Edited by Tegis
Wrong office
  • Thanks 1

@Tegis thank you. The one you use seems ideal for me. I  told you I havent a clue. Lol. The one you use is ideal for me. BUT if I down load it, do I still have to keep Microsoft,  do I run both, do I delete Microsoft,  how would I do that, would I have to copy my files to the new format first 🤔 

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

@Tegis thank you. The one you use seems ideal for me. I  told you I havent a clue. Lol. The one you use is ideal for me. BUT if I down load it, do I still have to keep Microsoft,  do I run both, do I delete Microsoft,  how would I do that, would I have to copy my files to the new format first 🤔 

Open Office (and Libre Office which is another alternative, and arguably better IMO) work with excel and word files etc. fine - you can convert them to open format, but you don't have to.

You don't have to keep the Microsoft programme(s). You can uninstall them via "add or remove programmes" in the control panel - hit the windows key and type "remove" and the drop down will show that option and then you can click it and pick what you want to bin off.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, blandy said:

and Libre Office which is another alternative, and arguably better IMO)

@Robtaylor200 What blandy said, ignore OpenOffice, I dunno why I put that option there beside very old habit. LibreOffice and OnlyOffice are the two to look at

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Tegis said:

@Robtaylor200 What blandy said, ignore OpenOffice, I dunno why I put that option there beside very old habit. LibreOffice and OnlyOffice are the two to look at

Done and downloaded, I will keep office 365 until payment is due in October, then say thanks but no thanks and use Libre. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

will keep office 365 until payment is due in October

Make sure you cancel the direct debit or whatever method, now. You’ll forget, or they’ll take the money anyway and then…

• Thanks 1

I've used the Google products and they are absolutely fine for what you describe, and totally free. I'm sure I've used Open Office before too (few years ago) and found exactly the same. The only reason I use Microsoft these days is because I use the same at work and it's lazy convenience. But listen to the others, you don't need MS for what you're describing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, T-Dog said:

I've used the Google products and they are absolutely fine for what you describe, and totally free. I'm sure I've used Open Office before too (few years ago) and found exactly the same. The only reason I use Microsoft these days is because I use the same at work and it's lazy convenience. But listen to the others, you don't need MS for what you're describing.

You use an enterprise grade endpoint protection solution at home? Impressive. How do you staff the SOC?

If you mean you run a unprotected version of Microsoft stuff, buy a Chromebook (or install ChromeOS Flex) and massively improve your security.

Â