Lord of the Fallen 2023

Designer1

Really excited for this one.

I was one of the few people who enjoyed the 2014 original which although it had plenty of issues, I still found to be a solid enough experience.

This updated soft reboot looks to be on a whole new level though, and I've already pre-ordered the deluxe edition on PS5 ready for Friday.

Trailer and gameplay videos:

• Like 1

I've got about 45 quid on my game card so I'll probably plump for the deluxe physical version on Friday after work. Problem is I haven't finished Lies of P yet and probably won't before Friday.....

Edited by dubbs

Watching a review at the moment, looks like there are some unique aspects to set it apart other souls like games.  The ranged attacks and ripping the souls out of enemies looks interesting.

Just debating whether to finish Lies of P before buying this or getting it at launch.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Just debating whether to finish Lies of P before buying this or getting it at launch.....

Personally I would finish LoP first or just play it alongside.

The final third of the game is the toughest but its got some really **** cool areas and bosses.

Also, when you kill the swamp bitch you get access to probably the best weapon in the game...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Personally I would finish LoP first or just play it alongside.

The final third of the game is the toughest but its got some really **** cool areas and bosses.

Also, when you kill the swamp bitch you get access to probably the best weapon in the game...

Going to try and get passed the swap tonight. It's certainly been a sticking point in my progress but I've been close a few times so I know I can do it.

Just now, dubbs said:

Reviews seem a bit all over the place. Seen 4/10 up to 8/10.  Be interested to hear people's thoughts when they've played for a bit.

Yeah seem to be averaging out at around 7/10 which is still respectable I suppose.

I played around an hour last night and first impressions are it's...fine.

They throw a lot of info at you from the off and the Umbral system didn't click straight away for me. The combat seems solid enough though and the world looks very good.

I'll have a better idea after I've caned a few hours over the weekend.

5 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Yeah seem to be averaging out at around 7/10 which is still respectable I suppose.

I played around an hour last night and first impressions are it's...fine.

They throw a lot of info at you from the off and the Umbral system didn't click straight away for me. The combat seems solid enough though and the world looks very good.

I'll have a better idea after I've caned a few hours over the weekend.

Sounds promising and it's not like we have an idea of the concept and genre of the game.  Think I'll carry on with Lies of P and wait to hear your thoughts.

32 minutes ago, dubbs said:

So @Designer1 what are your thoughts on it? I've not started it as I've been trying to finish P first.  Still haven't managed it because I've been struggling on almost every boss since Krat got destroyed.

Overall, it's good and I'm enjoying it. The combat is solid, the variety of builds and classes is pretty extensive and the world is impressive.

But...it has issues which for me stop it from being truly top drawer.

1. The level design can be overly complex which leads to easily losing your way and struggling to discover where to go next.

2. The checkpoints are simply too far apart, sometimes ridiculously so. I've had situations where I've just about made it through a particular tough section and then immediately been bombarded with another set of difficult mobs with not so much as a breather, nevermind a checkpoint/rest area. It can be really frustrating.

3. Mob density and placement is OTT difficult. You are often faced with 2 or 3 tough enemies, a couple of standard mobs and ranged enemies who can hit you from across the map all at once. It gives you very little time to enjoy the world and sometimes you just have to say **** it and run. I also think every single mob has way too big a health pool. This is where games like DS1/DS3/Bloodborne and Lies of P got it bang on. You had space to breath.

4. Not really a criticism but the bosses I've faced have been very easy. I've killed 4 and so far not a single death. Compare to dying to gravity and gank mobs and its night and day.

As I said though, I've been playing it alot and I'm enjoying it 90 percent of the time. I'm definitely gonna try and platinum it and I dare say will play through more than once. 

I think you'll enjoy it 👍

• Thanks 1

Had about an hour on it last night.  Ended up inadvertently wandering into a boss fight which I got slaughtered in because I made the rookie mistake of not leveling up when I had a few opportunities. Think I ended up losing over 8000 "souls".  Not sure whether to start over and level up when given the opportunity, carry on and see how I go.  Get the feeling I'll regret not spending!!

Ok I'm struggling to get passed Peita or whatever her name is. Timing on the blocking is off because it takes an age to get into the block stance.  Looking more and more like a restart and if I carry on struggling then it might even be a quick trade.

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Ok I'm struggling to get passed Peita or whatever her name is. Timing on the blocking is off because it takes an age to get into the block stance.  Looking more and more like a restart and if I carry on struggling then it might even be a quick trade.

Yeah you really shouldn't be struggling too much against her as she's the first actual boss.

What class are you playing as? Are you using the npc summon? Or a human summon? I can give you a hand of you like I'm on at the moment.

Using an NPC summon but tbh he's a bit shit.  Tried 2 different classes  and always manage to get her to half health then she starts flying all over the place and I can't lay a finger on her.

That was good fun!

Amazing that I killed her first time on my own playthrough. Pity the game made me same level as you as im currently level 174 😄

Let me know if you need any more help for other bosses.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

That was good fun!

Amazing that I killed her first time on my own playthrough. Pity the game made me same level as you as im currently level 174 😄

Let me know if you need any more help for other bosses.

I did wonder why you didn't smash her in 3 seconds lol.  Yeah I enjoyed it, think next time we'll need to start a party to make it easy to cooperate better. That's a good build you've got there too 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I did wonder why you didn't smash her in 3 seconds lol.  Yeah I enjoyed it, think next time we'll need to start a party to make it easy to cooperate better. That's a good build you've got there too 

Orian Preacher, considered the strongest starting class. 

Nearly went for the Dark Crusader as they look awesome but I wanted a class with decent spell and melee balance.

Â