The Non-British Villa Supporter Experience 2023/4

Marka Ragnos

Fun Villa related thing I've probably mentioned here before, I went to Evening with Lee Child in NZ that was held at my old secondary school as a venue and wore a Villa shirt as knew he was Villa fan. He came on stage saw me in 3rd row and pointed at me said "Love the shirt" Got my book signed to Kiwivillan and we had long chat about the Villa

• Like 4

I was born and bred in Brisbane Australia, played football when young, both my uncles were very good players playing for Queensland, they used to give me all their used Shoot magazines. It was around 1976/77 that I started supporting Villa a combination of the primary school I played for had a sky blue jersey with a Claret stripe and just loved the name.

The only information you would get was from those magazines and the abc in australia that used to have an hour wrap on a Monday night and you hope there were glimpses on the Villa. It was mostly like that until the 1990’s until pay tv came to Australia and you got to see nearly weekly games. Now we get to see every game every week from different online devices.

There’s  also a club in Bundaberg called Brothers Aston Villa which has been there since the early 70’s, so Australia has a very close affinity with the Villa.

• Like 2

I'm Irish and living in Dublin. I was 7 when Euro 88 was on and Ireland beating England was probably my first real football memory. Even though we didn't get far in the competition, i just absolutely adored God. He moved to Villa not long afterwards and from that day on, i inhaled any and all information about the club. Nowadays, i get over to two or three games a year, lurk around villatalk and watch as much villa as my TV subscriptions, my proximity to continuously flowing narrow bodies of water and my better half allow.

• Like 4

On 04/10/2023 at 06:27, Vancvillan said:

I left the UK in my mid-20s for North America and I'll say this:

Relagation was village, AVTV showed the games but commentary was offensive to all five senses

I still play a bit so I know a lot of Europeans and UK people. Banter is limited to games and WhatsApp, but having a draft fantasy league helps.

Local club rivalry isn't as fierce. It just isn't. I've spent time on both coasts and in a few cities - not saying it's not there, but back home I knew Geordies who wouldn't eat bacon because it's mackem colours.

Took my (North American) wife to a league 2 derby match on a UK trip and she couldn't believe how many police there were in the walk to the ground for a game that maybe had 6k attendance.

Villa tops at drop-in games are always a conversation starter - basically anyone raised outside of North America and Antarctica has heard of them.

Met a villa fan at a pub? There's going to be a lot of hugging 

Hatred between expat rivals is toned down - I played with a blouse, a baggie and a dog head. Never had a knee-high challenge come my way, but probably because they don't know it was me who let their tires down.

You'll be in trouble when they find out it's you

image.png.8098c45d2461cd3fd72b45c45ed10695.png

• Haha 1

Â