Installing M.2 SSD into motherboard

Mantis

So my PC's current SSD is on its way out and I've ordered an M.2 SSD which I'm going to have to put into the motherboard. I ordered it from the same place I got my PC from so I know it's compatible,  but I've never done anything like this before and was wondering if anybody here had or had any good YouTube video tutorials they could recommend?

Just now, Mantis said:

So my PC's current SSD is on its way out and I've ordered an M.2 SSD which I'm going to have to put into the motherboard. I ordered it from the same place I got my PC from so I know it's compatible,  but I've never done anything like this before and was wondering if anybody here had or had any good YouTube video tutorials they could recommend?

You need to google/Ask Jeeves for the particular version of pc you have. It’s pretty straightforward to do, but depending on the make and model you will need a few basic tools. Usually just small cross head screwdriver, small flat head screwdriver, maybe an Allen key of the right size or a torx screwdriver of the right size and maybe a small plastic lever type thing to help remove a connector. All depends on what pc you’ve got.

BACK UP YOUR old one first. Make sure you’ve got a means to reinstall the OS and any licenses.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

You need to google/Ask Jeeves for the particular version of pc you have. It’s pretty straightforward to do, but depending on the make and model you will need a few basic tools. Usually just small cross head screwdriver, small flat head screwdriver, maybe an Allen key of the right size or a torx screwdriver of the right size and maybe a small plastic lever type thing to help remove a connector. All depends on what pc you’ve got.

BACK UP YOUR old one first. Make sure you’ve got a means to reinstall the OS and any licenses.

Oh yeah, I've got the manual as well which has a section on M.2 installation. 

So, broadly speaking, is the process as follows:

1. Unplug and open up PC and remove the current SATA SSD drive

2. Plug the M.2 into the right slot on my motherboard, secure everything etc

3. Start up PC and install Windows 11 (I have a USB installation disk)

Is there no other configuring I need to do?

And yes, everything important on my current/old one is backed up. Due to previous incidents where I've thought I might lose my data (luckily I didn't) I basically now run all my important regular files off an external SSD, which is in turn backed up on 3 other devices once a week. In other words, my current C drive could be completely destroyed right now and I wouldn't lose anything important, I'm more just concerned about the whole process of installing a new drive.

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

I'm more just concerned about the whole process of installing a new drive.

There’s no mystery about it. It’s literally “unplug this one, plug in that one, reverse the steps”.  You’ll be fine.

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

There’s no mystery about it. It’s literally “unplug this one, plug in that one, reverse the steps”.  You’ll be fine.

So once it's in and everything is back in its place, I'll literally just be able to turn it on and go straight into installing Windows from my USB stick? Reassuring if that's the case!

19 hours ago, Mantis said:

So once it's in and everything is back in its place, I'll literally just be able to turn it on and go straight into installing Windows from my USB stick? Reassuring if that's the case!

This is a very comprehensive guide, but the timstamps you want are 45.46 and 1.39.52 . Linked below

and

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tegis said:

This is a very comprehensive guide, but the timstamps you want are 45.46 and 1.39.52 . Linked below

Thanks! I actually didn't see this and did it earlier (with someone helping). Honestly the screws with the M.2 were a massive pain.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/09/2023 at 00:31, Mantis said:

Thanks! I actually didn't see this and did it earlier (with someone helping). Honestly the screws with the M.2 were a massive pain.

Especially when you lose the little bastards. And nothing else will fit, so you have to buy more for 3p + £10 p&p. 

11 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Especially when you lose the little bastards. And nothing else will fit, so you have to buy more for 3p + £10 p&p. 

Luckily I kept them! Funnily enough at the time I didn't even know what they were for but thought I'd keep them lying around "just in case".

• Like 1

Â