Please sponsor me!Leukaemia Bikeathon - North Worcestershire

roonst83

cracking response so far as you set a £200 target. And smashed it to make a new £400 target and only £21 off upping the target further.

Absolutly mate, ive raised £400 in less than a week - im very impressed wnd touched by the kindness of many people (a fair few of which are on here). I didnt know what to put with regards to a target at first, but as my targets have been smashed ive increased them bit by bit!

There's also some more money to come from people who arnt computer friendly or dont like putting bank details into websites, which is completely understandable - so im hoping for even more! Gonna practise this weekend too, to get some more miles under my belt.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lads, here's an update -

unfortunately the event scheduled for this sunday has now had to be cancelled due to severe flooding in the area. I was absolutly gutted when i heard this, however i am not letting this dampen my spirits (excuse the pun) as i shall still be honoring my intentions a promised and will complete the 28mile ride through north worcestershire, the only difference being i may be alone instead of having a couple of hundred people who were going.

Im been so touched by the support of everyone who has very kindly sponsored sponsored me and have currently raised over £1, 200 with my online website (i still have a couple of hundred pounds to claim from my paper form) which i am bowled over by!

I will keep you all informed of the re-arranged date for when i am to complete the cycle, which im intending will be before the end of this month! Fingers crossed for the floods to clear and for some good weather!

I wont let you down!

Jonjo

Not surprised it was cancelled. I was driving through Marlbrook on Saturday and the whole place was flooded, the weather here was horrendous. Glad to hear you're still going ahead with it.

Not surprised it was cancelled. I was driving through Marlbrook on Saturday and the whole place was flooded, the weather here was horrendous. Glad to hear you're still going ahead with it.

Absolutly paddy, it just hasnt stopped p*ssing it down all week. Im having to decide on a similar route which isnt underwater but itll all work out.

If anything, im more determined than ever to go ahead with the ride now, having raised so much money for a great cause. These things are sent to test us, and i know many people would probably be able to easily do 28miles, but for me it will probably feel like the tour de france, i did 12 miles the other day to inkberrow and that knackered me out! (hanbury does have some killer hills!!) so if anything the cancellation will give me a bit more time to get more training in.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an update fellas,

Due to sever flooding the Leukaemia Bikeathon was cancelled, and I have now rearranged to complete the 28miles on Saturday 27th September at 8am. The reason for the early start is cos i want to complete it in time to get to the villa :)

Having gone round the route the other week i could see the flooding but it was subsiding and to be honest it was passable(with one or two bridges etc) but understandable if there were 200 people riding throguh it would be chaos. But for myself and one or two other people im sure itll be fine.

For anyone who's interested here's the route >>

1. Mere Hall

2. Shell Mill

3. Inkberrow

4. Earl's Common

5. Chequers Inn Crowle

6. Shernal Green

7. Mere Hall

Thanks again for all your kind support - I wont let you down and will update you all after the event.

Cheers

Hi guys,

just wanted to let you all know that on Saturday 27th Septmeber I finally completed the Leukaemia Bikeathon by riding 28miles through North Worcestershire. Having heard the weather was supposed to baking hot - i didnt want to be caught out (especially seeing as due to my radiotherapy treatment means I have a very poor barrier against sun protection) so I spent the early hours of saturday morning applying some sun cream. However when I got myself to Mere Hall, Hanbury at 8am it was freezing cold, the roads were packed with fog so you couldnt see much beyond 30yrds in front. Glad I didnt wear my bermuda shorts to say the least. Anyway when my cycling buddy Andy finally got here we headed off on our route - the very same route that had been flooded in various areas and led to the event being cancelled. We saw some eveidence of the flooding as we rode through Shell Ford but we managed to pass this and the rest of the route was all fine now. I thoroughly enjoyed the route, the weather actually enhacning the scenery in some unusual way. Perhaps its the photographer in me but i took great delight in looking at the scenery which was all covered in condensation and early morning dew with a blanket of mist. I had my Leukaemia t-shirt under my jumper at the start as it was too cold to revert to just the shirt, but after a while I swapped them round and felt much better about displaying to anyone we passed, be it people on horses, people walking or fellow cyclists, exactly why I was riding. Some of the houses yo pass whilst venturing through the country lanes are quite amazing, soem very wealthy people around that area I can assure you -but everyone we passed said hello - which isnt something you usually get anywhere else (what is it about the morning that people who are up and out are usually more obliged to wish you a good morning?) Anyway we pressed on woith the route and had to stop once or twice to check the route again to makesure we were going the right way - there would usually have been plenty of marshalls at the event had it not been flooded - but nevertheless we were pretty much fine all way round. The biggest challenge I faced was a huge hill right at the end when my legs were feeling the strain abit - I was riding a mountain bike which id borrowed from my brother and luckily I knew which gear did which function as I definately needed it on this hill - It was tough, very tough I was set in the lowest gear in order to decrease the strain on my legs, but as my legs spun round very fast, my bike felt was very gradually makiing progress - I had absolutly no chance of stopping or getting off the bike, I couldnt do that to myself - this was a challenge that I was determined to see through and I had everyone who had sonsored me in my mind - It may sound corny but its true, it was that thought alone, the thought of not letting anyone down that kept me going. Eventually I reached the brow of the hill and I felt great, really chuffed with what id done - then I made my way through the last half a mile to the finishing point, back at Mere Hall where id started. The day went from being a great morning to a bloody good afternoon as I rushed home to have the fastest shower ive ever had and got myself up to the villa to watch us beat sunderland!

I just want to take this opportunity to sincerely thank everyone of you on here who took the time out to sponsor me - most of you i've not met and that for me just shows what great people we have on here, as well as great football fans. The money you have donated will be making a difference I can promise you that.

Here's the pictures, as promised:

[15frazc.jpg

116riis.jpg

2iiye0g.jpg

25aiudk.jpg

26120ap.jpg

21or5tt.jpg

j96c9k.jpg

b8a1ds.jpg

11ugpra.jpg