Giants News

kkr

Suppose it depends on what point of view you look at it from. From where I stand you are a pass defense and nothing else. But we have an elite passing game to negate your strength.

Looking at the numbers, your Pass D is very similar to the Redskins (about 3.5 ypg difference) and Eli put up 250+ on them, and that was without one of the leagues leading receivers - Victor Cruz - playing.

Playoff scenarios (update including NO win, plus wildcard)

ray in arlington : 12/4/2011 11:42 pm

With a head-to-head sweep over Dallas and a win over either NYJ or WAS, the Giants win the NFC East.

If Giants split against Dallas, they win the division at 9-7 IF they beat NYJ and WAS, and DAL loses to PHI (DAL-TB result irrelevant in this case)

[this is a little clearer than my statement in previous post]

======================================

WILD CARD (2 spots available):

NO 9-3 (6-3 CONF, currently division leader)

CHI 7-5 (6-3 CONF)

DET 7-5 (5-5 CONF)

ATL 7-5 (5-4 CONF)

NYG 6-6 (3-6 CONF)

Getting a wild card requires a lot of help, here is the explanation:

If the Giants go 10-6 or 9-7 (6-6 CONF) they will win the division. Therefore the best the giants can do, and still be involved in a wild card scenario, is 9-7 (5-7 CONF).

CHI already has 6 conference wins, so the giants can not beat them out for a wild card at 9-7. CHI would have to crash to 8-8 or 7-9.

DET lost their 5th conference game to NO tonight. To get down to 9-7 (5-7 CONF) they would have to lose to MIN and GB (wins over SD and OAK). The common opponent tiebreak would

be tied, and it would go to Strength of Victory. They Giants could also surpass them if they fell to 8-8 ot 7-9.

If ATL finished 9-7, they would be 6-6 CONF at worst. So they would have to crash to 8-8 or 7-9.

NO just picked up their 6th conference win (and they have head to head win over NYG) so they

would surpass the Giants in a WC tie also.

From BBI. Beat the cowboys twice and one other and thats good enough. Dallas @ Tampa, vs Philli and @NYG are not easy games for that team. Win this week to take back the division and it wouldnt surprise me to see them crumble.

**** hilarious Garrett icing his own kicker too!

I despise the cowboys so beating them to the division now would be very very sweet!

Stacy Andrews is done for the year which is unsurprising considering the issues he is facing. Wonder if we sign his brother back to replace him?

Kenny Phillips sprained MCL, likely out 2-6 weeks so could be done for the year too depending on the extent of the injury and how long our season stays alive for.

@ebenezersamuel

Amukamara said he hurt his ankle in third quarter and that is part of reason he sat late in game. Expects to practice this week.

@MikeGarafolo Hakeem Nicks has a wrap and a brace on his right ankle. Grins and says he's fine. #nyg

@MikeGarafolo

Coughlin was looking for "consistency" w Calvin Johnson rule earlier this yr. After Jennings' TD, still calls it "confusing." #nyg

@TheJRob

Coughlin said #nyg taking Osi (sprained ankle) day by day, but original prognosis leaves it unlikely he'll return this weekend. #nyg

@TheBlueScreen

Coughlin said he's seen a picture of Jake Ballard being definitively in on his non-TD catch. Coughlin said it "made me sick" #NYG

@NotoriousOHM

Coughlin said Boley and Bradshaw are sore but sounds like they came out of the game OK. TC said Tollefson has a bruise on leg with swelling

Shawn Andrews Thanks New York Giants for Saving Brother Stacy’s Life

December 6th, 2011 at 12:54 PM

By Dan Benton

As we shockingly reported on Sunday morning, New York Giants offensive lineman Stacy Andrews was hospitalized with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. The news seems to have come out of thin air, and any non-Doctor can tell you how serious a situation that truly is.

Head coach Tom Coughlin revealed yesterday that Andrews is, as you would expect, out for the year. The good news however, was that his Brother and former Giant, Shawn Andrews, told Giants 101 his Brother was "making progress" and proceeded to thank the fans for their support of his family.

Today, Shawn once again took to Twitter, thanking the New York Giants organization for saving his Brother's life.

"I want to thank the trainer(s) from the Giants organization involved in getting my Brother to the hospital on Saturday and basically saving his life," Andrews tweeted. "[it] speaks volumes about the organization. [i'm] glad to have been a part of it for the brief time I was. [it had a] huge impact on my life as well."

Andrews continued…

"I'm sure the way my Brother described the symptoms he had on Saturday, some teams would have said 'let's put some ice on it.' Not the Giants," he added. "Dear, New York Giants. Thank you for virtually saving my Brother's life!"

As we've stated before and we will state again, the Andrews Brothers are tremendous players and tremendous men. Shawn has become a favorite of ours here at Giants 101, and still chats with us despite no longer being part of the team. Moreover, life is far more important than football, so we send our continued support and prayers out to the Andrews family.

link

Ware thinks Tuck is Cowboy wannabe

BY Ebenezer Samuel

DeMarcus Ware has a simple theory about Justin Tuck.

To the Dallas Cowboys’ pass-rusher, Tuck is nothing more than a desperate wannabe. And every time Tuck trashes the Cowboys, every time he talks about how much he “hates” Dallas and how he thinks Cowboys Stadium a dump, Ware feels a sense of pity for the struggling Giants defensive lineman.

“He says that because maybe he wants to play here,” Ware told reporters in Irving, Tex., on Wednesday. “Everybody wants to play for the Cowboys. If I wasn’t playing for the Cowboys I would call it that too, because I want to play for them.”

Get out your popcorn and get ready for the annual war of words between the Dallas Cowboys and the Giants. The two NFC East rivals will clash at Cowboys Stadium on Sunday night, but the verbal battle between both squads has already begun.

It started Wednesday, with the Cowboys slamming Brandon Jacobs and Tuck’s apparent Cowboy envy.

Corner Mike Jenkins who got it going, saying Giants big back Jacobs was nothing more than a big “bully.” And then there was Ware, the NFL’s sack leader, daring to accuse Giants defensive team captain Tuck of wishing for his very own Texas star-emblazoned helmet.

The Giants weren’t around to respond to the comments – their locker room had closed an hour or so earlier – but they likely were expecting this. The rivalry between both teams has long been fierce, and the two targets of Dallas’ trash talk – Jacobs and Tuck – are usually vocal about their general disdain for all things Cowboys.

Jacobs said years ago that he grew up hating the Cowboys, and he once slammed Dallas franchise QB Tony Romo, saying he was “not a good passer, to be honest with you”. And has a year ever gone by when Tuck hasn’t ripped the Cowboys before a visit to Dallas?

Both players have helped fuel the Giants to two straight wins over the Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium, but Ware hopes to end that run this year. Big Blue comes for the Cowboys’ “manhood” whenever it comes to Dallas, he said, but they will leave empty-handed this time.

“I hate anytime we play them,” Ware said. “It’s just not the Giants, because guess what, the team is trying to come in here and take your manhood. So it don’t matter who you’re playing.”

Except the opponent does matter, especially now. Wednesday’s trash talk – and the yapping that is sure to follow in the next few days –merely adds fuel to a battle with major postseason ramifications.

In previous seasons, the two teams met once early in the year, and then clashed again in December, when the playoff picture was more in focus. This season, they will play each other two times over the next four weeks, during a time when every win – and loss – is crucial to both teams’ postseason hopes.

Romo tried to downplay the scheduling quirk, but he knows it will lead to an intense game full of fireworks on Sunday.

“That’s just how things are,” he said of the schedule. “It’s going to make for good television, I’m sure.”

Ware is sure of that, too. Even if the Giants are filled with wannabes, he said, they must be taken seriously.

“It’s sort of like a battle, gladiator against gladiator, who wants it the most,” he said. “It’s not just the Giants, so there is a lot at stake. You’re playing for first place, and you’ve got to get out there and play hard.”

link

Dallas flapping their gums already. Good! I **** hate this team. If we could blow them out twice and win the division it would end up as one of the most satisfying seasons as a Giant fan.

Get Eli going early and the run game will come off the back of that. Play with the same intensity and effort on defense as last week and i think we can take them.

Giants' Brandon Jacobs says Cowboys are afraid of him

Published: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 3:23 PM Updated: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 3:25 PM

The chatter between the Giants and Cowboys leading up to their crucial meeting Sunday night continued Thursday, with some strikes from the Giants end.

Wednesday it was the Cowboys’ star linebacker DeMarcus Ware and cornerback Mike Jenkins going after two outspoken Cowboy haters: Justin Tuck and Brandon Jacobs.

In response to Tuck calling Cowboys Stadium “a dump,” Ware said Tuck simply wishes he was a Cowboy like everyone else.

Tuck doesn’t see himself in a Cowboy uniform – football or not.

“Me wanting to be a Cowboy?” he asked himself. “Hmm, well I don’t wear Wranglers, I don’t wear cowboy hats or boots or those belts that – what do you call those? – yeah, the buckle belts. I don’t wear none of that. And I don’t need a star on my helmet to tell me I’m pretty good at what I do…I plan on retiring as a Giant.”

Tuck said he doesn’t even recall calling the new Cowboys Stadium “a dump,” but he may have.

“I’ll tell you what, if y’all find it, I’ll live up to it,” he said. “But I don’t remember it. Although if you want me to say it, I can say the stadium before this stadium they built was pretty…”

He didn’t come up with an adjective, but you get the picture.

On the other side of the locker room, Jacobs faced questions about Jenkins calling him a bully. Jacobs wasn’t phased – if anything, it was a compliment for the 6-foot-4, 260-pound bruiser.

“I am a bully,” asserted, Jacobs, who for his part called Cowboys Stadium a beautiful palace. “They can call me what they want. I think people who call out bullies are afraid of bullies.”

Does that mean he thinks the Cowboys are afraid of him?

“If you call me a bully, that’s how I see it,” Jacobs said. “They’re just sitting back, waiting for us to come there and I think we’re going in there ready to play football.

“If you go in there and bring it to them and keep bringing it to them all game long, somebody’s going to break, somebody’s going to break. Either the person who’s bringing it is going to be tired of bringing it or they’re going to get tired of trying to stop the person bringing it and they’re going to stop. Whoever wants it bad enough."

link

Jacobs hate for the Cowboys is why he is one of my favourite players. I hope we beat them and i hope he surpasses Tiki's rushing TD record in the process. We all know why Jenkins was flapping his gums though, he is a proud inductee on the following:

27hof3.jpg

Can add Sensebaugh to the above image, he got gored today in a classy display of power and hard running by the big man.

Setting the career franchise record for rushing TDs in the process and being our first 100 yard rusher this season.

NYG at 10-6:

NYG Win out = NYG win division

NYG at 9-7:

NYG beat DAL and WAS (lose to NYJ) = NYG win division

NYG beat DAL and NYJ (lose to WAS) = NYG win division

NYG beat NYJ and WAS (lose to DAL) AND PHIL beats DAL = NYG win division (DAL-TB result irrelevant in this case)

NYG beat NYJ, and WAS (lose to DAL) AND DAL beats PHIL = DAL wins division (DAL-TB result irrelevant in this case). In this case the Giants have a wild card chance. For Giants to get wildcard two of the following must happen

- CHI goes 1-2 or 0-3

- ATL goes 0-3

- DET goes 0-3

NYG at 8-8:

If PHIL does not win out:

NYG beat only DAL AND DAL loses to PHIL or TB = NYG wins division

NYG beat only WAS AND DAL loses to PHIL and TB = NYG wins division

NYG beat only NYJ AND DAL loses to PHIL and TB = NYG wins division

If PHIL wins out, PHI takes all tiebreaks at 8-8.

Wild card is not possible at 8-8.

NOTE: The DAL-TB result seems to be only relevant if the Giants finish 8-8 or worse.

Line had a good game today too. Losing Beatty and Baas is a plus, i hope TC doesnt stuff Baas back in there. That being said Kevin Boothe had way too many botched snaps today for my liking.

With 3 games to go! Man is a beast!

It still worries me that we still have to beat Dallas again! Hopefully they lose to Philly and TB and likely that game becomes pointless so long as we pick up wins over NYJ and Washington.

Eli on course for over 5,000 yards I think!

Some Interesting Post-Game Notes

Eric from BBI : 11:22 am

The Giants improved to 3-0 in Cowboys Stadium. In their three wins at the stadium, the Giants have averaged 37 points per game.

This was the sixth consecutive season the Giants game in Dallas was played in prime time. The Giants are 4-2 in those games.

The Giants finished 2-1 in NFC East road games, winning in Philadelphia and Dallas, but losing in Washington.

The game featured eight lead changes, tying the highest total in a Giants game since the 1970 merger. The other game was also in Cowboys Stadium. On September 20, 2009, in the first regular season game ever in the stadium, the lead was traded eight times before the Giants prevailed, 33-31.

Six times this year the Giants have won a game in which they trailed or were tied in the fourth quarter (a franchise record).

It was the 13th time in 1,206 regular season games that the Giants gained at least 500 yards of offense.The Giants improved to 16-21-1 on Sunday night, including 9-10-1 on the road.

QB Eli Manning started his 116th consecutive regular season game to tie former Philadelphia quarterback Ron Jaworski for third among quarterbacks in NFL history. Only Brett Favre (297) and Peyton Manning (208) have started more consecutive regular season games.

Manning has thrown 14 fourth-quarter touchdown passes this season, tying the NFL record set by Johnny Unitas in 1959 and tied by Peyton Manning in 2006.

Manning’s 4,105 yards passing yards this season is a career-high and team-record.

Manning now has 21 300-yard games, tying him with Phil Simms for the Giants record.

WR Hakeem Nicks increased his season total to 1,014 yards. He joins Victor Cruz (1,159) to give the Giants two 1,000-yard receivers in the same season for the first time in their 87-year history.

HB Brandon Jacobs’ two rushing touchdowns increased his career total to 56, breaking Tiki Barber’s franchise record of 55.

I hope we win out and start to put some sort of averageness together on defense. If only we could be mediocre defensively we would a very dangerous team.

10 wins is not easy in this league. When we were 6-2 if offered 10-6 i would have taken it and obviously thats what we are hoping for now. We might not need to get 10 games to win the division but double digit wins seems much more of an achievement.

Last year we didn't get in at 10-6 and i have said 10-6 would win this division this year. Looks like that will be the case.

It is annoying because we really do only need to be average on D to be a good team. Look at the Pack and the Pats, they're 13-3 and have 2 awful defenses! We really aren't that far from being a good team. Yet we're ot that far from losing every game because of the poor D play.

Really has been Eli's year though. I always had confidence in him, but the possibility of a 5,000 yard season is amazing, especially with all his clutch play. Cruz and JPP being the other massive bright spots this season.

Really liked Petrus last night and Hynoski in blocking.

Petrus, Hynoski and Boothe (a few dodgy snaps aside) really have brought some stability to the Oline play and run blocking especially. 110 yards last night might not seem much but the Dallas D is good against the run and Jacobs did particularly well.

If we can get an average D over the next 3 games then i dont see why we cant win the division and a playoff game or two.

That was your NFC Defensive Player of the week ^^^^ No shit!

Below from BBI:

Where Eli stands among QBs 8 seasons in, HOF company

MarshallOnMontana : 5:58 pm

Obviously these comparisons are not entirely perfect given the different nature of how some QBs are treated early in their career. Some guys like Peyton Manning play from week 1 of their rookie year, other guys like Eli and many others play partial rookie years, some guys like Favre and Brady did not make any starts as a rookie, and a guy like Phil Rivers sat for even more than one year. Still, as imperfect as the comparisons are, here goes:

Keep in mind Eli still has 3 starts left in his 8th season

TD passes through 8 years

1. Peyton 244

2. Marino 241

3. Favre 213

4. Brady 197

5. Eli 181

6. J. Kelley 179

7. Brees 168

8. Unitas 168

9. Big Ben 165

10. Bledsoe 164

Eli trails 4 players, the first 3 (Favre, Peyton, Marino) are the top 3 all time in TD passes today, and Brady figures to be no worse than 4th within a couple years. Other than Drew Bledsoe, Eli is in the company of exclusively hall of famers on this list. Everyone surrounding him is in already or will be one day, except for Bledsoe

Yards passing through 8 years

1. Peyton 33,189

2. Marino 31,416

3. Bledsoe 29,257

4. Moon 27,679

5. Favre 26,803

6. Eli 26,751

7. Kelley 26,413

8. Brady 26,370

9. Brees 26,258

10. Big Ben 26,028

Same as the TD pass list. Other than Drew Bledsoe, all i see is current or future hall of famers

NYG just tweeted that Eli joins Dan Marino ...

The Original G Man : 4:05 pm

... as only 2 QBs in history to record (3) 400 yard games in one season.

Utterly amazing.

Dan Marino had 4 in the season he set the single season yardage record.

Pfffffttttt....

BamaBlue : 4:45 pm

Any QB can throw for 400 yards... what's so special about that??!!

--Perry Fewell

Â