Concussion/Head Injury Substitution

pete101

So looks like we are going to be the first game in premier League next weekend against arsenal to have this trialed .

Think it's great that we have finally acknowledged this as a major problem in the game and fully support this to go ahead

What i would like to know is , what will be the punishment handed out to teams for trying to use this as an advantage ( Mr pep and Mr klopp trying to use this as a work around to use the extra sub that they have been crying out for. )???

I am a big follower of rugby union and it is worth googling bloodgate to see how teams attempt to use these type of rules to an advantage

Edited by pete101

54 minutes ago, pete101 said:

So looks like we are going to be the first game in premier League next weekend against arsenal to have this trialed .

Think it's great that we have finally acknowledged this as a major problem in the game and fully support this to go ahead

What i would like to know is , what will be the punishment handed out to teams for trying to use this as an advantage ( Mr pep and Mr klopp trying to use this as a work around to use the extra sub that they have been crying out for. )???

I am a big follower of rugby union and it is worth googling bloodgate to see how teams attempt to use these type of rules to an advantage

I just don’t see the potential misuse of this as an issue. The big teams rarely even use all three of their current substitutions. Faking a concussion isn’t massively likely to me and if so how many times realistically could teams get away with it?

What are the rules around it?

If a player suffers a concussion after three minutes of the game, does his team get to make a 'concussion' substitution or just a regular substitution?

For me, the additional substitute available for concussion should only be available after all three of the regular substitutions have been made - there's plenty of scope to replace the player from the existing substitutes until that point.

I guess the protocols are designed to remove from teams the temptation to force a player with a concussion to play on. I'm sure there would still be a reluctance from teams to use a first substitution to do that and I know that would make the way I've proposed it difficult, but some of that I think will be reliant on a huge question in this - who is it that will diagnose a concussion?

In order for this to work, for me we need independent Doctors at games to make those decisions, we can't leave that to the teams themselves - we simply can't trust them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Article from BBC. "To avoid potential abuse of the rule, opposition teams will also be able to make a change at the same time."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55352368

Doesn’t really avoid abuse of the rule though when Man City would likely have Mahrez, Gabriel Jesus or Ferran Torres to bring on and we’d have Neil Taylor.

I just don’t think it would take long to realise that teams were abusing it if a player was going off every game with potential concussion.

Â