Android Auto

jackbauer24

I'm not sure this is the right place - Android Auto?

I've just bought a brand new car, so I've set up Android Auto (has to be via a cable it seems but one step at a time!) and I can now see a handful of compatible apps.

The app I'm most interested in is Amazon Music. Now it kinda works but I can't see my playlists, I can't scroll through my music and it has loads of recommended stuff rather than 'my' music.

Any general tips or hints? Anyone use Amazon music on Android Auto?

The UIs are all quite intentionally limited, which is very frustrating, especially when you're parked and just want to be able to search for something.

You're quite right, you can see your recently played playlists, but not just all of them. I find voice commands are the best way "hey google, play my super playlist" usually does the job, naming them less generic things is best, but if it struggles "play amazon playlist <playlist 1>" usually does the job. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The UIs are all quite intentionally limited, which is very frustrating, especially when you're parked and just want to be able to search for something.

You're quite right, you can see your recently played playlists, but not just all of them. I find voice commands are the best way "hey google, play my super playlist" usually does the job, naming them less generic things is best, but if it struggles "play amazon playlist <playlist 1>" usually does the job. 

I didn't think of that, great idea. I resist voice stuff but that might be a way round it.

Seems counter intuitive to have a system to make life easier which is actually much more frustrating! Much appreciate the reply!

• 1 year later...

I've just installed an Android head unit in my car and as it has a slot for a SIM card I'm thinking of getting one with just data only.  Anyone wise done this? I know i can connect via Bluetooth, USB and a mobile hotspot but for some reason when I use the unit in Android Auto mode, Google Maps lags a little in relation to where I actually am when I'm driving.  I know I don't have to use Android Auto as you can use Google Maps independently on the unit but again this uses a mobile hotspot.  

Anyone else got a third party Android head unit installed and had similar issues? 

I may just try taking the SIM out of my phone and testing it but I don't want to keep having to do that!

• 1 month later...
On 25/06/2022 at 21:21, dubbs said:

I've just installed an Android head unit in my car and as it has a slot for a SIM card I'm thinking of getting one with just data only.  Anyone wise done this? I know i can connect via Bluetooth, USB and a mobile hotspot but for some reason when I use the unit in Android Auto mode, Google Maps lags a little in relation to where I actually am when I'm driving.  I know I don't have to use Android Auto as you can use Google Maps independently on the unit but again this uses a mobile hotspot.  

Anyone else got a third party Android head unit installed and had similar issues? 

I may just try taking the SIM out of my phone and testing it but I don't want to keep having to do that!

I have a Pioneer head unit in my car and it has Android Auto. I find that Pioneer's sat nav far better visually to use. Tried the Android Auto a couple of times and just couldn't get to grips with it.

4 hours ago, stuart_75 said:

I have a Pioneer head unit in my car and it has Android Auto. I find that Pioneer's sat nav far better visually to use. Tried the Android Auto a couple of times and just couldn't get to grips with it.

My car didn't come with sat Nov so using my phone was the only option.  As I'm getting older, seeing street names on a small screen was getting difficult so upgraded the head unit which has AA built in.  I got the sim card but only used it a couple of times. Since installing I've also upgraded my phone.  It's certainly made a difference now the battery doesn't drain like my bank account!  

Â