Philips Hue

KenjiOgiwara

Opinions?

I currently got IKEA smart home lightning system, and it's been largely shit for a long while. The controllers are rubbish and the syncing with the app is just awful. Right now the app just isn't doing the job. 

I might go on and replace everything with Philips Hue, but I thought I'd check here if people had good or bad experiences of it first. 

We've got Hue and I have to say it just works.   The app is ready to use and it works well with Alexa too. Having said that,  we only have it for main lighting and in our dining room.  Would like it implement it more around the house. 

I've got most of the house hooked up to the Hue system.  Most of the control is done though my google set up, but yeah, it just works - have a few routines in place for lighting coming on at sunset.

The main downside to most of this, is that traditional light switches aren't really great for home automation; so where I've found it great is for fittings/fixtures where they're just plugged into the mains with no option for other household members to switch off the power to your new lights (lightstrips / go lamps)

Other downside to Hue, they do firmware updates over the wireless network to the bulbs, and it might just be my awful internets; but they usually take an age to download so if you've got a bunch of them installed, expect to waste half a day on your phone watching a non-descriptive "progress" bar.

Edit.  As an small aside, it's worth mentioning that IKEA were looking at a refresh / update to their smart home offering - this was announced in December, though I'm not sure what the current state of the rollout is, so it might be worth holding out until that's been released to see if it fixes any of your woes.

Edited by CardiffGreens

• 6 months later...

I ended up buying it. Love it to be honest. Whoever is in charge of automation and user friendliness at Phillips deserves a god damn raise. 

So awesome have sensors in every room that just works and don't have these software glitches. Top stuff.

Only issue i have is the cost of the bulbs!  I believe cheaper options which are compatible with Hue are available, so I'll have a look around.  Might be some good deals online at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Only issue i have is the cost of the bulbs!  I believe cheaper options which are compatible with Hue are available, so I'll have a look around.  Might be some good deals online at the moment. 

I guess if you buy the colour options you get broke quickly?

I've kept it to ambient white or what it's called.

59 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I guess if you buy the colour options you get broke quickly?

I've kept it to ambient white or what it's called.

Yeah we have the coloured bulbs - had them for a while now.  To be honest they rarely get changed from white now!  Expensive-ish mistake, but at least there's an option to change the colours of we want. 

On 29/11/2020 at 11:00, dubbs said:

IKEA bulbs can be brought into the Hue ecosystem "out of the box"; I've got a couple of their warm white bulbs in places I didn't fancy shelling out top dollar for Hue bulbs - they can be added to the Hue app (and then into my Google Home setup) and then controlled via routines/apps/voice as the philips branded stuff.  One note thought is that IKEA only do E14/E27 or GU10 fittings (no bayonet).

• Thanks 1

Â