Brum mail blames us for trouble at the Nantes game

Ive already spoke about it in the match thread but its developed a bit since then, Brum mail have finally decided to report it and they've decided to throw us under the bus -

A handful of Aston Villa fans were pepper-sprayed by police after last night’s friendly with FC Nantes.

It’s thought around five or six heavily-intoxicated supporters were targeted by the French officers after persistent pleas to vacate a certain section of the stadium.

Other Villa fans nearby were also thought to have been caught up in the action and were pepper-sprayed, too.

Following the trouble in the country during Euro 2016, police adopted a zero-tolerance policy and were keen to move on the small minority of fans who had been drinking throughout the day.

It should be noted that there were no incidents of violence recorded and that the rest of the 250 travelling supporters behaved themselves and represented the club in a positive light

Aston Villa are aware that the incident only involved a small number of fans and could look into the matter.

Eye-witnesses said that the police were simply trying to move the fans on and that they were resisting due to the amount of alcohol they had consumed.

Villa won the friendly 1-0 thanks to a goal from Rudy Gestede.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fans-pepper-sprayed-11656784

pepper1.jpg

targeted 5 or 6? their own pic shows a copper aimlessly spraying pepper spray in the air! tried to move us on? you can see the 500 odd fans behind them that hadnt left either, this escalated ridiculously quickly, the game hadnt finished when they first sprayed us and wouldnt move? i got sprayed as i walked out the stadium!

you can see the game still on - 

13718535_981549278609557_663842858958611

what they dont want you to see - 

13620342_982067695224382_833988562125461

outside the ground where nantes fans were trying to storm our end...

brum mail with a shocker, im absolutely fuming

erm

It should be noted that there were no incidents of violence recorded and that the rest of the 250 travelling supporters behaved themselves and represented the club in a positive light

Not sure why you are so angry as it says a handful at most?

16 minutes ago, Richie k said:

he got pepper sprayed, id be angry

How dare he display anger that his face was burned and came out in blisters?

What did he expect if he went to watch his team play abroad.

I said only last month during the Euros that we need to stand up to this shit because next time it could be our fans on the receiving end. Was the girl in the green top pissed up and causing trouble? What about the fat old boy? He looks like he's a scary hooligan doesn't he?

At least we actually had some police in the ground this time, unlike at the England v Russia game, even if they were the biggest hooligans there.

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

erm

Not sure why you are so angry as it says a handful at most?

I was angry because the police targeted a lot of people, myself included, I'm absolutely fuming at the mail for reporting it like that, it's complete lies

won't deny there was a lot of drinking before the game, there was a hell of a lot of drinking at the game and there were 5/6 people who couldn't handle it and were being laddish, depends where you draw the line, people in a wheelchair going down a ramp...bloke trying to climb over the railing...from my experience of the euros the frenchs problem is they don't steward the games,melose tried to climb the fence they pulled him down...that was it...went off to get another drink after that...there was a bloke who got lairy and the stewards stood there watching, 3/4 villa fans restrained him, when the cops attacked up and several fans kicked off it was villa fans that restrained them

also telling that after the first round of spraying who came to help us? The French people behind the bar, came out with water...after I got sprayed outside the ground (after I'd quite happily moved on I'll add...) who came to help me with water? Local French bloke

as the report says there was no reports of violence, it was drunk people being drunk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I was angry because the police targeted a lot of people, myself included, I'm absolutely fuming at the mail for reporting it like that, it's complete lies

won't deny there was a lot of drinking before the game, there was a hell of a lot of drinking at the game and there were 5/6 people who couldn't handle it and were being laddish, depends where you draw the line, people in a wheelchair going down a ramp...bloke trying to climb over the railing...from my experience of the euros the frenchs problem is they don't steward the games,melose tried to climb the fence they pulled him down...that was it...went off to get another drink after that...there was a bloke who got lairy and the stewards stood there watching, 3/4 villa fans restrained him, when the cops attacked up and several fans kicked off it was villa fans that restrained them

also telling that after the first round of spraying who came to help us? The French people behind the bar, came out with water...after I got sprayed outside the ground (after I'd quite happily moved on I'll add...) who came to help me with water? Local French bloke

as the report says there was no reports of violence, it was drunk people being drunk

I am not excusing the pepper spraying at all thats justified i am just confused at why you are angry at the article?

Because I hate the implication that the actions were justified and that we were out of order, we weren't, we had a couple of pissed up fans who got a bit out of hand but the reaction from the French was ridiculous 

the mails article stinks of lazy it must be the English football hooligans at it again ruining it for everyone that always gets wheeled out, any danger of some proper journalism and reporting what actually happened? Or do they just leave it to mat kendrick (who wasn't there, Evans covered the game) to report that villa fans were misbehaving and expect all the villa fans reading it to be ashamed of our great travelling fans who up until that point had a great day

Â