Car Insurance Repair and Hire Car - Where Do I Stand?

trekka

Evening all,

So I had a prang last August (silly old fool reversed out from his drive into me as I was coming down a hill).  I've finally got my car in the garage appointed by my insurance (after they repeatedly sent letters to the wrong address) to get my front end replaced.  It isn't a lot of work (the right wing is partly off of its clips (it's an Aygo so make that out to be the front end), few cosmetic issues and the number plate needs changing but nothing else).  I was given a hire car from Enterprise and agreed to pay the £7 a day for peace of mind to get proper insurance coverage meaning if anything happens it's covered and I won't be liable for the £500 excess.  Now it turns out that the garage is having trouble getting hold of parts (it has been with them for a week - they can't get hold of the air reflector bits in good time apparently) and have said they'll put on my old part so that I can get my car back but I'll need to return it in the future.  

Obviously this isn't acceptable if I'm paying money because of an accident not of my own fault so where do I stand?  Can I claim back the £7 "peace of mind" insurance? I'm thinking no as I've been driving around but then what happens when I have to take it back to get the other bits fitted?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ta :)

Most garages won't book you in until they have the parts that they have ordered anyway, who are you insured with mate?

Depending on how long the delay is you could pretty much tell them you want the hire vehicle until yours is fixed, especially if you are claiming through the other parties insurance (ddoesnt sound like that's the case though) I'm pretty sure you get 14 days hire most of the time but if there is a delay it isn't hard to get the insurance company to extend the hire and they are normally pretty willing to do it for you.

• Like 1

Cheers dude.  I'm with Aviva.  The other party admitted fault so it's a clean cut case.  I perhaps stupidly agreed to the charge from Enterprise thinking it would take a few days and I wouldn't want any nasty surprises thinking if anything happened, I'd be covered.  It's been a week and all not sorted so time to phone up the insurance people tomorrow to find out what exactly I'm covered for.  Needless to say, I'll want my £7 daily back if it's covered by the same insurance policy anyway. 

Aye.  Cheers for the confirmation.  For what it's worth, nothing has been taken from my bank yet for the £7 daily.  I'll get onto Aviva tomorrow.

Thanks all. 

Â