Bledsoe : Hall of Fame ?

BOF

Do you reckon he'll get in to the H.O.F. ?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Do you reckon he'll get in to the H.O.F. ?

• Yes
    • No

Well Drew Bledsoe has announced his retirement from professional football. Always liked him, and predicted very early in his New England career that he would eventually be a hall of famer. Now that he has achieved all he is going to achieve, do you think he has done enough to warrant a place in Canton ? Bearing in mind he is top 10 in a lot of the all-time quarterback stats.

A lesson in the importance of retiring as close to the top of your game as possible.

Up to and including his first year in Buffalo it's a hall of fame career, but I think in the end he just falls short, on the basis of several average years to close out his time in the NFL.

The Patriots wouldn't have gotten to the Super Bowl that year if it wasn't for Bledsoe coming off the bench and embarassing the Steelers more than they usually manage to do themselves.

I'm a Patriots fan, and it was Bledsoe (along with Bill Parcells) that provided the foundation on which our dynasty was built. The Patriots were shit, on he level of maybe a Southampton, before 1993. For the eight years from then until Brady, the Patriots became a major power in the NFL, with Bledsoe being the dominant component. Gillette Stadium is the House that Bledsoe Built.

For all the numbers, though, Bledsoe may be remembered as the guy who lost his job for Tom Brady (and maybe Tony Romo and JP Losman too).

• 4 years later...

Bledsoe elected to Patriots Hall of Fame; eligible for Pro Football HoF class of 2012

Former quarterback Drew Bledsoe was elected to the Patriots Hall of Fame, the team announced [May 16].

Bledsoe received the highest percentage of votes of any candidate since the hall was started in 2007.

"Drew Bledsoe played such an integral role in our efforts to rebuild the Patriots brand," Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in a story on the team's web site. "He gave fans hope for the future and provided many memorable moments during his record-breaking career."

Bledsoe was the 17th player inducted into the Patriot Hall of Fame and 18th person overall. In Bledsoe's nine-year career with the Patriots, he threw for the second-most passing yards in team history and connected for 166 touchdowns.

"Obviously, just a tremendous honor to be elected to the Patriots Hall of Fame," Bledsoe said on a conference call this afternoon. "Little alarming to hear the call from Mr. Kraft. Just to be considered with Bill Parcells and Houston Antwine was an honor itself. Then to be elected was really just an honor."

In Bledsoe's last seven full seasons as a Patriot, he had more than 3,000 passing yards each year. He will be inducted into The Hall at Patriot Palace in September.

"There are so many hundreds of people that need to be thanked individually, so figuring out how to properly thank everybody in my career is a little bit overwhelming," he said. "The overriding thing is going to be the thank you to the New England Patriots fans and the Kraft family."

The Patriots drafted Bledsoe first overall in the 1993 draft and was a four-time Pro Bowl selection, three of which came as a Patriot. In 1994, he became the youngest ever to play in a Pro Bowl at 22 years old.

Bledsoe is eligible for the NFL Hall of Fame voting process for the first time this year and is expected to be a debatable candidate.

Bledsoe started for the Bills for three seasons after leaving the Patriots and closed his career with two seasons with the Cowboys.

Former coach Bill Parcells and former defensive lineman Houston Antwine were the other finalists for induction this year. A group of media and team alumni and staff nominated hall candidates and narrowed it to three finalists. Fans voted online for the final choice.

140.jpg

^^^ The poster of Drew that I had on my wall when I was a kid ("PATRIOT GAMES"!!!!!!), but even then I think he's at best a marginal HoF candidate.

Â