Some kind of database software

Dodgyknees

I am looking for a piece of free software, that I can use to put peoples email addresses into and from this, find them again through their age, town, email or other methods.

I know I can use a spreadsheet, but I need something similar to what companies use to enter information they might want to access again - but not on a big list.

Any ideas?

Which Office suite do you use?

If all you need is a small number of columns in a single table, to only be accessed from a single machine, any old database application will do what you need.

Access if you use MS Office (obviously not free, but if you already have Office...), or LibreOffice's Base will do what you need very easily.

Google docs just puts it into a spreadsheet, I work on spreadsheets every day and hate them, thus the reason for wanting something - a piece of software - which I can add data into.

I only have Open Office, I didn't download their spreadsheet tool though, reasons same as above.

Offline, well yeah, it's locally installed software, just the same as editing a spreadsheet or word document offline, no problem there.

I'm not aware of any apps that allow editing of databases through Android/iOS, and Googling isn't throwing up anything that looks like it'll do the job, unless you go for something like hosting a MySQL database which sounds pretty over the top for this. Even if you're not a big fan of them, a Google Docs spreadsheet is really the lowest effort/cost solution to your problem if editing through a mobile device is essential.

• 1 month later...

I tried using Google Docs, the survey thing, for some reason everybody can edit it - and view who has entered details. I cannot change the setting so nobody can edit but everybody can view and enter data.

That's odd, it should give a dropdown menu that lets you change settings for who can view/edit/comment, I can't see any reason it'd be disabled. Might be worth checking with another browser.

Does checking the Private option work? That will completely block anyone from viewing or editing it unless you manually give them permission.

Edited by Davkaus

Change the sharing so that only you can view or edit the spreadsheet.

You should only share the FORM link, not the spreadsheet link. If you share the spreadsheet then they can edit it.

Â