Venice

Demitri_C

Hi All

Thinking of taking my girlfriend to Venice End of March, but no clue what sort of area should stay at? Anyone got any ideas of what sort of area to be close to?

Any advice be appreciated, thanks

Venice is all walkable tbh so it doesn't really matter

if you are flying bucket airlines they have a bus that drops you off by the Railway Station and you then jump a river bus and get off at a stop near your hotel

BA etc then it's a river bus straight into venice from the airport .. again it stops at various places

if you feel flush you can book a dedicated speedboat

Have a look at booking.com  ... get an idea of price and reviews of people that have been

St Marks Square is mainly where the action is so you may want to get a hotel with easy access to there  .. take small suitcases as the streets aren't that wide in places and can be crowded , nothing worse than trying to fight your way through :)

one other thing I recommend is this

it is absolutely fantastic even if you aren't that keen on Opera ... it's a small venue that holds maybe 25 people .. the first act is in the main room and then for act 2 you move into a second room  and another room for act 3  ... you can sit pretty much next to the orchestra or in amongst the action some times ... I had Figaro leaning against me as he sang the main Aria  ... spine tingling stuff ... really really enjoyable

trip to some of the other islands is pleasant enough  .. depends how long you have 

St Marks was under refurbishment but should be open now .. the clock /bell tower opposite gives some good views , not that long a queue  .. personally I find a lot of Venice is just walking about and soaking up the ambience etc

Edited by tonyh29

tone is there anywhere on this planet you havent been!! :P

Thanks for that mate, st marks is the place to be then. Is 4 days too long or too short or is that ok?

Also I read that there tends to be floods during winter would end of march be a bad time to go?

What Tony said. I stayed around Accademia which was lovely. Close to St Marks Square and on the main canal. A nice walk to the main bridge (can't remember its name).

Also I read that there tends to be floods during winter would end of march be a bad time to go?

Read up on 'Aqua Alta'. That's what it's called.

tone is there anywhere on this planet you havent been!! :P

yes ..but I'm working on it :)

I forgot on  my post but the Doges Palace is also interesting  , you can do it on your own  but the guide is worth the money and much better ... some of the tours take you up inside the rafters and a few extra places  , but not all of them , so if you can get on the "secret " tour it's worth it  ... you walk through the bridge of sighs as part of your tour either way ... it was covered in a car advert the last time I went annoyingly , hopefully this has been removed now as it looks much nicer without it , needless to say ..

I got my picture taken inside one of the cells on my first visit but clearly they have had enough of monkey like behaviour and lock them all now :)

4 days is about right... gives you plenty of time

Â