Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

... Please tell us why you are 95% certain of him signing ....

I was asked this question when I made the original post and so I gave my reasons then. You could track back in the thread and read them if you wish.

Since then one or two further reasons have arisen, but if I mention them this is likely to attract hostile responses, rather than much reasonable (and on-topic) discussion, so it's better that I don't.

This is not spurs-talk so if you are so confident that Bent will sign for you how about if he doesn't you get banned from the site? A wager of sorts?

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh he doesnt know diddly. he has heard a load of gossip and assumes its true. Might be, probably isnt.

Cant believe this thread has had 300 pages added within 20 days.

Asking how many times he has seen Darren Bent this season is a pretty lame comeback dude, if he wanted to

he could have turned on his TV and watched all the games if he wanted to.... and watched the 14 or so goals

he scored in a season where he spent the middle section out with an injury, as well as adjusting to the games

when he came back from it. His tally now in two seasons is something like 33 goals, for Charlton? Gabby is a

wonderful player I am very much looking forward to seeing develop, but Darren Bent oozes class and he is

a perfect striker for a club such as ours. Gives you pace and lethal finishing, gives you 15-20 league goals. Easy.

Why is it a lame comeback, I am not for the slightest dismissing Bent ability, mearly attempting to point out 14 million is way to much money... secondly, how can ANYONE judge a player without watching them and once or twice a season, orr watching highlights really doesn't cut it!!

:bonk: You really are up yourself aren't you.... Really, really not deserved... :wave:

Far from it, just think its amusing :)

Anyway OT, we signed anyone yet? :wink:

Well you're not amusing, just a wind up merchant.... you bore me!

Touché. Just wait a bit and he will post more smileys.

I generally take a look at this thread once a day & all i ever see is the same 5 or 6 posters bickering over the same nonsense all of the time & a succession of one or two line smart-alec posts. Have you guy's (& you know who you are) nothing more interesting to do with your time?

Telling people to bugger off with the idea of Dica because they haven't seen him is more than OK, but asking players about Darren Bent is a bit funny. I have seen him many times this season and what interests me the most is his vision, his awareness and his real striking ability. He could have scored 6 goals for all I care, for me a striker needs to have a certain gene, shown to perfection by van Nistelrooy really. It's when you unleash Darren Bent in a better club you will see him bang in goals. For me it's a very odd that Arsenal haven't gone on to sign him. Imagine Bent/Henry, certainly a better player than this Adebayor (who will leave for two months in January)

I was asked this question when I made the original post and so I gave my reasons then. You could track back in the thread and read them if you wish.

Since then one or two further reasons have arisen, but if I mention them this is likely to attract hostile responses, rather than much reasonable (and on-topic) discussion, so it's better that I don't.

This is not spurs-talk so if you are so confident that Bent will sign for you how about if he doesn't you get banned from the site? A wager of sorts?

OK

Birmingham Post

Manchester City misfit Joey Barton is weighing up a summer move to either Aston Villa or Newcastle United as he prepares to sever all ties with an unhappy spell at Eastlands.

The 24-year-old midfielder has told his family that Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce are the only managers who he feels would understand him and allow him to concentrate on his football, a close family friend claimed yesterday.

Barton was suspended by then City manager Stuart Pearce at the beginning of this month after a training ground bust-up with team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

City took swift action after the England midfielder allegedly punched his team-mate in the face in a row at the club's Carrington training ground sparking speculation that he would never play for City again.

The family friend said: "Joey is a talented player and is attracting a lot of interest from clubs including Newcastle, Villa and his own boyhood team Everton, as well as Middlesbrough, Celtic and Portsmouth.

But he has told his family that he is really most interested in moving to either Villa with O'Neill or Newcastle with Big Sam because he feels they are both good man managers who will give him the support he needs.

"He has a clause in his contract which says any club prepared to come in with a bid for at least £5.5 million can talk to him so we will have to see what happens."

The friend continued: "Joey is a Blue, an Everton fan by heart but he is not sure how the fans would take to him there after he 'mooned' at supporters in the Premiership clash at Goodison earlier last season.

"Life is rough for Joey at the moment. He cannot go out in Liverpool or Manchester at all because there is always a fan waiting to have a pop at him and he is basically living like a recluse apart from the odd game of golf.

"He is in a relationship with his girlfriend, a student, and just wants to settle down and make a fresh start with his career.

"People who don't know Joey have accused him of being violent and letting Manchester City down when he punched Dabo but he told us that he was pushed three times in the face and only lashed out in the end to defend himself.

"Unfortunately everything Joey does gets in the newspapers and sometimes without justification.

"Training ground brawls happen all the time but Joey has a certain profile and newspapers stalk him.

"He just wants to settle down, play the football we all know he is capable of and get himself a regular place in the England team."

Barton has so far been capped just once, making an appearance as a substitute in England's 1-0 defeat at the hands of Spain in February.

But his family believe he would be an international regular if he could settle down and let his football do the talking.

Barton, who made his debut for City against Bolton Wanderers in 2003, is never far away from controversy. He and team-mate Richard Dunne felt the wrath of Stuart Pearce before the manager left after publicly claiming that they would not pay to watch City from the stands because the football was not entertaining enough.

Barton is still on bail over an incident in March when he was arrested in connection with an alleged assault on taxi driver in Liverpool.

OK

Doesn't a wager need a counterweight?

So kkr, if Bent does sign for Spurs then you get banned from the site? :winkold:

I think David Villa would be a good buy imho

Sorted. What are we waiting for...

Jez, you're needed over here.

Hmmm i better not, people get all worked up!

Irritated/annoyed are probably the words you are looking for... :roll:

OK

So kkr, if Bent does sign for Spurs then you get banned from the site? :winkold:

Probably a shit bet, considering Spurs buy everyone :lol:

OK

erm.......no! :lol:

My part of the deal is having to read all the spurs shit that goes on all over villatalk! :lol:

Birmingham Post

Manchester City misfit Joey Barton is weighing up a summer move to either Aston Villa or Newcastle United as he prepares to sever all ties with an unhappy spell at Eastlands.

The 24-year-old midfielder has told his family that Martin O'Neill and Sam Allardyce are the only managers who he feels would understand him and allow him to concentrate on his football, a close family friend claimed yesterday.

Barton was suspended by then City manager Stuart Pearce at the beginning of this month after a training ground bust-up with team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

City took swift action after the England midfielder allegedly punched his team-mate in the face in a row at the club's Carrington training ground sparking speculation that he would never play for City again.

The family friend said: "Joey is a talented player and is attracting a lot of interest from clubs including Newcastle, Villa and his own boyhood team Everton, as well as Middlesbrough, Celtic and Portsmouth.

But he has told his family that he is really most interested in moving to either Villa with O'Neill or Newcastle with Big Sam because he feels they are both good man managers who will give him the support he needs.

"He has a clause in his contract which says any club prepared to come in with a bid for at least £5.5 million can talk to him so we will have to see what happens."

The friend continued: "Joey is a Blue, an Everton fan by heart but he is not sure how the fans would take to him there after he 'mooned' at supporters in the Premiership clash at Goodison earlier last season.

"Life is rough for Joey at the moment. He cannot go out in Liverpool or Manchester at all because there is always a fan waiting to have a pop at him and he is basically living like a recluse apart from the odd game of golf.

"He is in a relationship with his girlfriend, a student, and just wants to settle down and make a fresh start with his career.

"People who don't know Joey have accused him of being violent and letting Manchester City down when he punched Dabo but he told us that he was pushed three times in the face and only lashed out in the end to defend himself.

"Unfortunately everything Joey does gets in the newspapers and sometimes without justification.

"Training ground brawls happen all the time but Joey has a certain profile and newspapers stalk him.

"He just wants to settle down, play the football we all know he is capable of and get himself a regular place in the England team."

Barton has so far been capped just once, making an appearance as a substitute in England's 1-0 defeat at the hands of Spain in February.

But his family believe he would be an international regular if he could settle down and let his football do the talking.

Barton, who made his debut for City against Bolton Wanderers in 2003, is never far away from controversy. He and team-mate Richard Dunne felt the wrath of Stuart Pearce before the manager left after publicly claiming that they would not pay to watch City from the stands because the football was not entertaining enough.

Barton is still on bail over an incident in March when he was arrested in connection with an alleged assault on taxi driver in Liverpool.

He is ours, after speaking to O'Neill and Fat Sam he would be stupid to turn us down, especially if you consider the fact that he will be shown around the training facilities and most likely our plans for the summer and coming years will be explained to him.

Then again it is Barton, he is not exactly renowned for making the right choice! :lol: