Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

i dont rate defoe, we dont need him, we already have a pacey striker in young, agbonlahor and moore

we need a big strong striker who can hold the ball up, like robbie keane!

or david healy!

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If O'neill signs defoe its because he doesnt always intend to play the carew way. If we turn up at pompey say, we'd wanna play the quick mobile strikers against campbell and primus (remember the VP fixture last month) Defoe is nothing like Moore nor Gabby as people are suggesting, in fact the only thing they have in common is pace. Defoe is a very direct, clinical finisher who will literally shoot from anywhere and if we sign him we'll have a great mix in our striking four. Carew power, strength with good feet. Great at getting the ball down and laying it off. Gabby, pure pace, unpredictable almost unplayable for most defenders, Moore the more traditional striker, sufficient pace, great movement. Plus defoes as mentioned above. Different options no matter which two from 4. I find it unlikely that if Carew gets injured or dropped O'neill will want to simply plonk in a like for like (only not as good) striker and play exactly the same way. It would make us predictable. Carew for the games like Man U and spurs and arsenal, to bully ferdinand etc and pace and movement for the games like Pompey, everton etc where the defenders are less mobile.
Hypothetically what happens if Carew breaks a leg first week of september and our striker options are Defoe, Agbonlahor, Moore, Ashley Young and Maloney?

Then thats who we play. duh

i dont rate defoe, we dont need him, we already have a pacey striker in young, agbonlahor and moore

we need a big strong striker who can hold the ball up, like robbie keane!

or david healy!

Young isn't a striker and Robbie Keane is not big and strong and certainly doesn't hold the ball up, neither does Healy! :?

If O'neill signs defoe its because he doesnt always intend to play the carew way. If we turn up at pompey say, we'd wanna play the quick mobile strikers against campbell and primus (remember the VP fixture last month) Defoe is nothing like Moore nor Gabby as people are suggesting, in fact the only thing they have in common is pace. Defoe is a very direct, clinical finisher who will literally shoot from anywhere and if we sign him we'll have a great mix in our striking four. Carew power, strength with good feet. Great at getting the ball down and laying it off. Gabby, pure pace, unpredictable almost unplayable for most defenders, Moore the more traditional striker, sufficient pace, great movement. Plus defoes as mentioned above. Different options no matter which two from 4. I find it unlikely that if Carew gets injured or dropped O'neill will want to simply plonk in a like for like (only not as good) striker and play exactly the same way. It would make us predictable. Carew for the games like Man U and spurs and arsenal, to bully ferdinand etc and pace and movement for the games like Pompey, everton etc where the defenders are less mobile.
Hypothetically what happens if Carew breaks a leg first week of september and our striker options are Defoe, Agbonlahor, Moore, Ashley Young and Maloney?

Then thats who we play. duh

Who is the number 9, who is going to hold the ball up and provide the knock downs that will allow our tricky quickies to flourish?

The scenario where big JC gets injured is exactly why I want us to sign Viduka. An experienced and gifted striker who has proven this season that he's still got it!

But what if we sign DeFoe?

Then we will have signed two excellent strikers I hope. Buying one striker doesn't mean we won't buy another!

The scenario where big JC gets injured is exactly why I want us to sign Viduka. An experienced and gifted striker who has proven this season that he's still got it!
I totally agree Tom, and Viduka is high up on my list of strikers to join Villa.

I wouldn't mind Yakubu either seeing as though he stated his desire to leave Boro this week!

He isn't good enough. Made his name in one decent season at Pompey and now is a rich nobody

(PS.... last season Viduka 14 goals in 21 starts and Yak 11 in 36)

I wouldn't mind Yakubu either seeing as though he stated his desire to leave Boro this week!
Wouldn't that be a huge role reversal with Middlesborough players leaving the Riverside for Villa and stating that they wanted to go to a more ambitious club as the reason for leaving!

He isn't good enough. Made his name in one decent season at Pompey and now is a rich nobody

...and he seems to be a arrogant little prat.

...and he seems to be a arrogant little prat.

First Nzogbia is an "arrogant little prick", and now Yakubu is apparently a "arrogant little prat", how the feck do you know exactly? :roll: , i'd personally rather focus on what they do on the pitch instead of sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong.

As for Defoe, these rumours are getting very strong now, i'd be surprised if we didn't sign him tbh!!, and i'd also be surprised if Petrov got dropped from central midfield, if we buy a quality midfielder i think Barry will move back to the left.