Getting back into American Football

robojoel

So in my youth I was a massive American football fanatic, I grew up with Riggins Theismann and Jacoby as my heroes. I was obsessive about the game and knew every player, I used to play Statis-pro football solo for hours and then.....

Well for one reason or another (it was no longer on terrestrial TV mainly I think??) I lost touch with goings on :( . ( I am guessing around the mid nineties?)

Anyway, I want to make an effort to get back into it, I actually have a job nowadays and fancy going to see my beloved Redskins as part if a USA wide jaunt.

So

-How are the redskins nowadays?

-What shape is the sport in, who are the big names to look out for

-Where/when do I get to watch the NFL on TV in the UK (or internet?)

-Which websites are good for me to keep up to date with goings on?

Thanks in advance for any pointers folks :)

Well, you picked a good time to come back. The Redskins are on the up. They've got a rookie QB who is an awesome talent, a new stadium that brings the fans closer to the playing field than any other stadium, and a wide open division.

Welcome back :cheers:

-Where/when do I get to watch the NFL on TV in the UK (or internet?)

Sunday 6pm and 9pm games - Sky Sports

Sunday Night Football (12:30am-ish) - Channel 4 (or is it 5?)

Monday Night Football (1:00am-ish)) - BBC1 red button

If you want to watch all games that aren't on any of the above, you can go the legal/expensive route of buying NFL game pass, or the ummm, not so legal route of searching firstrowsports at kick-off and you'll find links there.

You missed the Redskins' slide from just before Dan Snyder bought them to being one of the laughingstocks of the league for a good decade or so... They almost certainly spent more money per game won than anybody else in the second biggest example in the division of owner-meddling.

I always used to compare them to Spurs. Capital city, spend big on stars who don't work out, etc. Mike Shanahan is their Redknapp in that sense (I'm not a fan of his, and it probably has more to do with his face than anything else)... They're probably my second or third team in the NFC (partly because I managed to convince a security guard at FedEx Field to let me go onto the turf).

Â