Travel Money Cards

LoughboroughLion

Evening everyone,

Looking into a few possibilities regarding the monies I'm taking on holiday on Friday. Don't really want to carry loads of cash. I called my bank (HSBC), who told me the withdraw rate at an ATM is 2.9%, which seems quite high?

Because of this, I've looking into these travel money cards. Post office one gets really bad reviews online, but I can't apply online for one of the better reviewed ones as it won't come in time. Any advice?

I've not used a travel card myself but I have read they can be limiting as to where you can use them and a few hidden charges, but thats just second hand info.

I have recently used travellers cheques and they were great. I lost two of them and had £200 replaced within 2hrs. Great service all round.

Also check how much money your travel insurance covers your for, if its £1k then you should be fine holding the cash.

Evening everyone,

Looking into a few possibilities regarding the monies I'm taking on holiday on Friday. Don't really want to carry loads of cash. I called my bank (HSBC), who told me the withdraw rate at an ATM is 2.9%, which seems quite high?

Because of this, I've looking into these travel money cards. Post office one gets really bad reviews online, but I can't apply online for one of the better reviewed ones as it won't come in time. Any advice?

I'm with HSBC and when I enquired recently I couldn't find any cheaper way to buy euro's than straight out of the cash point when I needed them. I do have an Advance account though, that 2.9% equated as €1:23.5 to £1 and I couldn't find anywhere on the High St to buy Euros at any better rate than €1:22. The exchange rate at the time was €1:27ish.

My conclusion was 2.9% was actually a very good deal!

Â