Brian Dawkins retires from football

BOF

My god he'll be missed :(

Veteran safety Brian Dawkins announced his retirement from football on his verified Twitter account on Monday.

"The Lord has blessed me to play in the NFL for 16 years. I would like to thank the Eagles & the Broncos 4 believing In me. I would like 2 thank all my teammates & Coaches that I have been blessed 2 go to battle with. Along with u, the fans 4 helping make my career 1 that i have enjoyed tremendously. In other words. I am announcing my retirement from the NFL. #BBTB," said the post linked from Dawkins' Twitter page.

Dawkins played 16 seasons in the NFL, spending his last three seasons with the Denver Broncos. He was selected from Clemson in the second round of the 1996 draft by the Philadelphia Eagles, with whom he played 13 seasons and went to the Super Bowl following the 2004 season.

He was named first team All-NFL by The Associated Press four times and was a Pro Bowl selection eight times.

Dawkins left the Eagles for the Broncos in 2009.

He leaves the game with 37 career interceptions and 1,131 tackles, including 26 sacks.

Having your number retired should be reserved for winners, not perennial losers. ;)

Nah, even as an Eagle you have to respect what a monster this guy really was. 1,131 tackles and 37 picks aint half bad either.

Â