How to play 5 Card Draw Poker?

YLN

My father is organising a game of poker. He's playing with chips. Everyone puts in €10 at the start of the game and gets 41 chips ($5-100). The dealer puts in $20 every hand. 5 cards dealt to each player. Someone needs a pair to open. If you can open then you bet. If no one opens, the cards are returned and shuffled and dealt again. The $20 stays in the pot and is joined by the next dealer's $20. The game stops at 10:30pm and the chip leader wins all the money. In a game, once initial bets are in, players can swap out up to 3 of their cards for another three from the pack in the hope of getting a better hand.

I say that this way of playing sounds horrible to me. I have never played it before and say that big blinds and small blinds is a better way of playing with the blinds increasing after every 10 minutes or so. It's his game, but I'm arguing that no one will get knocked out this way and the game will be boring. What am I missing? Has anyone played this kind of a game before? How does it go? I think he's more used to playing this game as a cash game and not with chips. How will it go? Sounds like a stalemate to me

Right I play a lot of poker and although I dont play 5 card draw I have done before and never played it like that. You can swap as many cards as you want, you shouldn't need a pair to open.

Are these made up rules? No blinds at all? If you have a really rubbish pair and you are suppose to open, you could just fold because nobdoy will see your hand. So yeah, you could keep folding everything until you have a really good starting hand. You could fold for hours on end and not lose any chips. Makes no sense, you need blinds.

Rules sound made up.

You need blinds. Even if this "dealer puts in $20" business stays, that needs to increase to make people get knocked out. If it stays at $20 no-one will ever get knocked out.

Being the chip leader is a lot different than winning a game. If the chip leader wins at 10:30, then imo, it'll just mean the first person to win some serious chips, can play really conservative for the rest of the game and win, especially if the blinds don't go up.

Put your foot down, make him organise it better!

His argument might be that if you don't play any hands, you won't have any chance of being chip leader when the buzzer sounds, so that's the incentive to play with poorer hands in the hope you'll pick up something. These are his made up rules. Adapted from the game he played when he was in college - but those were always cash games.

Cheers lads I've made all these points to him, but he's fairly stubborn. Keeps relying on the fact that he played this way in college and also says he doesn't want people to get knocked out, especially those who have come 100 miles for the game. I say let them buy back in until 9:30 if they end up getting knocked out, but then he says he doesn't want anyone to become enemies and fears they will if there's a situation where people are getting knocked out and having to buy back in.

Just make it a tripple chance or something.

Basically lets say you start with x amount of chips, we will say 1000 for now. If you get knocked out before a certain time, you get another 1000 and once more, so you have 3 lives basically.

At the end of the given time period, anyone who hasn't taken their extra chips due to not gettinc knocked out 3 times can take them all at that point.

He's saying that people will not understand the blind system and wants to now implement a situation where the amount of money a dealer puts in goes up every 10/15 minutes. I'm telling him that he can't start making up rules. He wants to decide a set of his own rules before the players arrive tomorrow night. That's where we are now. I've read out your posts to him and that has gotten us to this point. He plans to have a limit of half the pot at all times and that's all that anyone can bet. Does that make sense? How will that impact the game?

Pot limits are fine, and it will mean people can't bet their entire stack and so can't go out really early. I don't like it, but it's a decent way to go if you want to keep people in for longer.

Whatever blind system he uses, it's good that he'll increase it. I know he doesn't want people to go out earlyh, but not increasing it will mean no-one ever bets. Increases forces betting, which makes it interesting. You don't want to go too far the other way and have everyone sat there folding every hand because they don't have a full house, or any hand you do win will be for peanuts.

Right so the single blind is paid by the dealer every hand and then stays in the pot until someone opens with a pair or better. Any bet is limited to half the pot. The blind is increased every 15 minutes. Does that seem alright? Why can't we just play texas holdem?

Can anyone explain the thinking behind the opening with a pair rule?

Yeah I would just play Holdem as more people know it but still, its not my game.

I dont get the opening with a pair thing, you could have a pair and just fold if its a rubbish pair/hand and nobody will know. Its open to be exploited. What you should do is usually have the person to the left of the button have a 'Bring In' bet, so they are forced to open the betting every round, then people can raise/fold to whatever but someone is always starting the betting off.

Yeah I don't understand the open with a pair thing.

As in I don't understand how it's going to work. You can only bet if you have a pair?

That in itself is a massive tell. Everyone's going to know you've got a pair.

Apart from that it sounds ok. But far from ideal.

The game has come and gone. Bit of a damp squib. The dealer blind went up by $10 every 14 hands (7 players) which wasn't really a lot, but it did mean that the limit for betting was increased somewhat as the game went on. In the end one player had amassed a huge chip lead and the timer to end the game couldn't come quickly enough as the contest was over. The last few hands were played out and then the timer went and the player with the most chips was declared the winner. It just wasn't great sport. Especially as I got knocked out early and there were only two chances to make bets per hand. Poor, but not a complete disaster. Most people had as many chips at the end as they started with.

Â