Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Simple question, Moyes, Jol, and Hughes, as managers what have they won?

Now compare that to Ancelotti.

Surely the choice is obvious?

I dont think its a case of who has won more trophies but as to who is the right man for the job. My personal choice would moyes. Made everton a top 7 side on a low budget id love to see what he could do at the villa with sufficient financial backing.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, the choice is obvious if youre a huge club with massive resources. but apply the restraints of villa to this. who has most experience working with low wage ceilings? who has experience searching out bargain players? who knows how to get the most out of the resources at hand?

whats the last team carlo ancelotti managed where he couldnt just go out and buy whoever he wanted? he has operated on a whole different level to villa for years, expecting him to slot into buying players he'd never have considered at his other jobs is no guarantee for success

Chelsea.

yeah, the choice is obvious if youre a huge club with massive resources. but apply the restraints of villa to this. who has most experience working with low wage ceilings? who has experience searching out bargain players? who knows how to get the most out of the resources at hand?

whats the last team carlo ancelotti managed where he couldnt just go out and buy whoever he wanted? he has operated on a whole different level to villa for years, expecting him to slot into buying players he'd never have considered at his other jobs is no guarantee for success

Chelsea.

ah come off it he had more money there than he'll ever get at villa, and he had champions league football to offer players

hes not even got europa league footie to offer at villa. itd be a phenomenal change for ancelotti, it's not a case of him just slotting in, he's going to have to adapt his management style a huge amount, and it could be a disaster

Ancelotti would be the perfect type of manager to take us forward imo, not just break the glass ceiling but smash through it.

For some reason I have a feeling he would come aswell, PLEASE Randy.

Absolutely. Why do so many people not get this?

because they dont apply common sense and logic to anything football related

its a case of "hes been a successful manager so he'd be a successful manager here", despite the fact that he's been a successful manager a clubs with far more resources and draw than villa

I'd assume he had to live with that when he started in Italy and managed to prove himself enough to get the job at Juve and Milan. Wiki says he got Reggiana up in his first season and got Parma into the CL. I don't know what kinds of constraints he has had to live with at these clubs as I am no expert in Italian football but I don't think he had a blank cheque.

I'd assume he had to live with that when he started in Italy and managed to prove himself enough to get the job at Juve and Milan. Wiki says he got Reggiana up in his first season and got Parma into the CL. I don't know what kinds of constraints he has had to live with at these clubs as I am no expert in Italian football but I don't think he had a blank cheque.

jesus how long ago is that? people complained about houllier being out of the game for a few years, how long is it since carlo ancelotti had to worry about wage caps, budgets and not managing a fashionable club?

Surely the same could be said for moyes though, buying players he wouldn't have considered before.

Hodgson at Liverpool for example, given some money and didn't know what to do with it.

Surely the same could be said for moyes though, buying players he wouldn't have considered before.

moyes has spent big money on more than one occasion though

sure fellaini was the guts of £18m wasnt he?

its a case of "hes been a successful manager so he'd be a successful manager here", despite the fact that he's been a successful manager a clubs with far more resources and draw than villa

OK, so I maybe wrong, however I genuinely think the guy has a hell of a lot more to offer than any of the other candidates mentioned.

OK, so I maybe wrong, however I genuinely think the guy has a hell of a lot more to offer than any of the other candidates mentioned.

he might, but he'd be a risk. just because he's a name doesnt mean he's going to be a success. the adjustment he'd have to make to even be a moderate success at villa would be huge. it'd be an experience completely at odds with the last 20 years of his career

mourinho, for example, could do it at villa. coz it's not that long since he was at porto and operating with similar restraints. its been too long for the likes of ancelotti though

Yes which shows on rare occasions he has had cash to spend he hasn't done too wisely, he spent pushing 30million on Fellaini and Bilyaletdinov, not great business imo.

Yes which shows on rare occasions he has had cash to spend he hasn't done too wisely, he spent pushing 30million on Fellaini and Bilyaletdinov, not great business imo.

fellaini was a super signing

bilyaletdinov i didnt realise was that expensive, he looks great in flashes but nowhere near the consistency of a player worth more than £8m

he might, but he'd be a risk. just because he's a name doesnt mean he's going to be a success. the adjustment he'd have to make to even be a moderate success at villa would be huge. it'd be an experience completely at odds with the last 20 years of his career

mourinho, for example, could do it at villa. coz it's not that long since he was at porto and operating with similar restraints. its been too long for the likes of ancelotti though

I have a lot more confidence in Ancelotti, than I do with Moyes, Hughes, Jol etc.

At the moment our star players like Downing and Young, all want to leave to play CL football, signing a manager of Ancelotti's calibre would be a clear signal of intent. He may even be able to persuade them to change their minds and stay. Who knows, but one things for sure, at the moment we are going backwards fast.

This next managerial appointment is crucial.

I have a lot more confidence in Ancelotti, than I do with Moyes, Hughes, Jol etc.

thats where we differ. while i accept that ancelotti would do a hell of a lot better than the others, all things being equal, i also think he would represent more of a risk than the rest. the ideal situation for me would be 4-5 years of moyes/hughes/jol followed by an approach to a manager of ancelottis calibre when the club is ready for it in terms of resources and infrastructure

thats where we differ. while i accept that ancelotti would do a hell of a lot better than the others, all things being equal, i also think he would represent more of a risk than the rest. the ideal situation for me would be 4-5 years of moyes/hughes/jol followed by an approach to a manager of ancelottis calibre when the club is ready for it in terms of resources and infrastructure

Agree with this.

After 4 years of MON, I really think the clubs ready now.