Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

If we change our Manager, I think they'll go for a tried and tested Premier League Manager. Once bitten. I really think Mark Hughes will be right up there on their list of preferables. He won't necassarily be the fas favourite but they are less likely to go for someone outside the English league, IMO.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GH - September 10-June 11??

MON - August 06-August 10

DOL - May 03-July 06

GT2 - Feb 02-May 03

JG - Feb 08-Jan 02

Little - November 94-Feb 98

Ron - July 91-November 94

Venglos - July 90-May 91

GT1 May 87-July 90

What the **** has that achieved? Seriously, that is very poor.

Longest serving manager in past 40 years? Ron Saunders...

Exclusive: Villa to make ambitious move for Benitez if Houllier fails to return

Aston Villa are set to turn to Rafa Benitez as a replacement for Gerard Houllier, should the Frenchman fail to recover from his health problems.

Houllier, 63, is not expected to return to Villa this season and has been advised to walk away from the game after a recent heart scare left him in hospital for a week.

Villa have yet to make a formal decision with three games of the Barclays Premier League season left and Houllier’s No 2 Gary McAllister in caretaker charge.

Benitez, 51, replaced Houllier as Liverpool boss in 2004 and is available after leaving Inter Milan in December. The Spaniard knows McAllister well and considered him for a coaching role at Anfield. He is also well versed in Villa’s youth set-up, having monitored many of their players while at Liverpool.

He left Anfield after tussles with then-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, but that has not put off Villa’s American owner Randy Lerner. He sees Benitez as a strong tactician who can attract top names to the club.

Sam Allardyce, Fulham’s Mark Hughes and Everton’s David Moyes will also be considered but Villa want to act in respect of Houllier’s health and will assess how he progresses.

Caretaker boss McAllister said: ‘He’s doing very good. I’m speaking to him regularly, and I’ve got to see him this afternoon. He’s progressing nicely, everything’s moving along fine, and each time I see him — I’m not there as frequently now, I’m just giving him a bit of space, but he just looks better and better.

‘At this moment, I’d probably say I’ll be here through the final three games. But that might change — the doctors, he still sees them regularly of course, and if he keeps progressing, you can never say never — but at this moment, I’d say I will be here.

‘We talk all the time about the shape and the personnel in the team so there are loads of discussions about who’s looking to maybe break into the team.

‘We had a good little run going there which came to an end (with the defeat at West Bromwich last time). So we have discussed little bits and bobs, tactical changes, even personnel changes.

‘But as it stands, the guys that have got us those results, they were very disappointed to lose at The Hawthorns, so we’ll keep that in mind as well.’

Villa take on relegation-threatened Wigan at Villa Park on Saturday. The visitors’ manager Roberto Martinez thinks surviving this season could be a watershed moment for his squad. ‘In a very strange way they need to enjoy this challenge because that’s something which is going to help them progress in their careers,’ said the Spaniard.

‘If you don’t enjoy your football you cannot be as good or as composed as you have to be. If they enjoy their football we will achieve our aims, I have no doubt about that.’

Daily Mail

I've read the article, but I see no reason for it to be an exclusive....All sounds like crap to me,

They thought it was perfectly fine that GH fielded a weak team in the Eastlands when the next round was Reading at home. They showed no signs of anger when it happened and I don't even think the club apologised despite the fact the FA cup is important to us.

I've been pulling you up on this for weeks now. You have no idea what happened behind the scenes for all we know Randy pulled his pants down and beat him. You really have no clue whatsoever what happened in the background. Also, go and read the Generals thread he wasn't happy, he laughed at 'White Flag' jokes (as he clearly saw the irony/funny side in them). But again, you have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

No excuses to do it when we only had two PL games in the months that were two weeks apart and we lost both games anyway. It made no logical sense whatsoever. It was bloody embrassing that we looked so weak and didn't even care infront of all the ITV spectators.

None of this is to do with the board, I get your point but it's nothing to do with the board whatsoever and doesn't give anything to your argument - agaisnt the manager - yes. But not to do with the board. They can't choose GH's team the second he starts doing that he quickly stops chances of us getting many many managers out there who would in no way come to a club who get involved in managers decisions.

You are implying that its the boards fault that team was fielded to begin with.. The board shouldnt be asking the manager to justify his team selection before a match. How could the board have prevented that!?

The fact the manager said he would do it again and the club would still continue to back him if he didn't fall ill speaks volumes.

I cant remember him saying that but I'll take your word for it. The board/Randy have certainly not come out and said they would back him if he did it again, they werent ever going to get rid of him mid-season and 90% of clubs wouldnt either, keep this until the end of the season as MM has been saying for months and how most people would agree is the best thing to do. It was either sack him in December or stick with him. we stuck. After that sackign the manager is suicide.

It's bloody obvious that all the club is concerned about is staying in the top league

Look at the Generals thread. He clearly is not happy with what has transpired since January. You are making things up.

while trimming the wage bill

Trimming the wage bill HAS to happen, we cant afford to prop up an £80m wage bill, we can't compete for trophies with a wage bill of that size. Have you heard of the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules? Probably not. Our wage bill is ridiculous. Spurs have a smaller wage bill than us. So do Everton.

Small wage bill does not = not competing.

Small wage bill = being allowed to compete in 3 seasons time

and spending less on transfers.

£30m in January, if we spend £40m in the Summer (i'd say thats likely considering the amount we need to change, or atleast the £30m-ish we expect to make from sales). Randy would have given similar amounts of money to GH/whoever as they gave to MON each season (think The Sun had MON's avg yearly spend at £70m)

They've shown no signs whatsoever of wanting another trophy in the cabinet this season

Again, can't force a team to play, cant choose the team without making the club a place no manager would want to work. Dont understand how you dont get this. They clearly want a trophy. It's a business, trophies increase business, how ridiculous to say they dont want one.

and I doubt they will for a fair while.

Typical way of influencing opinion by you stating your opinion in some defining way, which means **** all. If we win a trophy next year it doesnt mean the board wanted it any more than they did this year.

Abramovic spent £50m in Jan to try and win the Champions League and that didnt help diddly squat, he wont spend £50m next January but that doesnt mean he wants to win the CL less next year.

Bam.

I can actually see the merits of Benitez, but at the same time I think it would be a risky appointment. I dunno. If GH does go and Benitez does come in, I just hope it works.

I can actually see the merits of Benitez, but at the same time I think it would be a risky appointment. I dunno. If GH does go and Benitez does come in, I just hope it works.

Sell it to me?

Everyone keeps banging on about we need tried and tested premier league managers but where has that got us in the past.

All we have won is the league cup and the greastest of all the intertoto.

MON was tried and tested and he brought no trophies.

Houllier i would have liked to have given a chance to but we have to look at his health issues, as we can't have another distrupted pre-season.

If i was randy lerner i'd get but my cahonies on the line and take a risk in one of these new up and coming managers that will build a empire of there own thought at villa.

Man utd done it with fergie one of the greatest at all time.

Derby done it with clough great manager until he push the chairman to far.

Sir matt busby built a great team as he had time to build a squad he wanted that played nice football and never feared anyone, man utd still play the same way as its there clubs way.

Im a 18 year old fan that has only seen a few quality managers in my time on this great world, and none have been at my great club while i have been watching.

UTV, VTID. Think big!!!! Win Big!!!!

Exclusive: Villa to make ambitious move for Benitez if Houllier fails to return

Why is it even ambitious? The bloke it out of work! £20 to VT if this happens.

I'm with you on that Steve, I see no reason for the club to go for Rafa none at all and I'll donate £20 to VT if Rafa becomes manager.

Everyone keeps banging on about we need tried and tested premier league managers but where has that got us in the past.

All we have won is the league cup and the greastest of all the intertoto.

MON was tried and tested and he brought no trophies.

quote]

This is a very fair point. I just think that the board will go for someone who they think is a cut above other Managers and with the right resources, will do better at Villa than at Everton or Fulham. This is only my opinion of course and to a large degree, I hope I am wrong. I'd love Villa to push the boat out and get someone who is a bit of a risk (worth taking). I think they've been bitten by appointing a Manager with a health problem who has had a lengthy break from the Premier League.

This is a very fair point. I just think that the board will go for someone who they think is a cut above other Managers and with the right resources, will do better at Villa than at Everton or Fulham. This is only my opinion of course and to a large degree, I hope I am wrong. I'd love Villa to push the boat out and get someone who is a bit of a risk (worth taking). I think they've been bitten by appointing a Manager with a health problem who has had a lengthy break from the Premier League.

I agree steve i also feel it gonna be that sort of appointment but you never know if we all get behind an risky appoinmnet the board might listen.

They thought it was perfectly fine that GH fielded a weak team in the Eastlands when the next round was Reading at home. They showed no signs of anger when it happened and I don't even think the club apologised despite the fact the FA cup is important to us.

I've been pulling you up on this for weeks now. You have no idea what happened behind the scenes for all we know Randy pulled his pants down and beat him. You really have no clue whatsoever what happened in the background. Also, go and read the Generals thread he wasn't happy, he laughed at 'White Flag' jokes (as he clearly saw the irony/funny side in them). But again, you have no clue what happened behind the scenes.

No excuses to do it when we only had two PL games in the months that were two weeks apart and we lost both games anyway. It made no logical sense whatsoever. It was bloody embrassing that we looked so weak and didn't even care infront of all the ITV spectators.

None of this is to do with the board, I get your point but it's nothing to do with the board whatsoever and doesn't give anything to your argument - agaisnt the manager - yes. But not to do with the board. They can't choose GH's team the second he starts doing that he quickly stops chances of us getting many many managers out there who would in no way come to a club who get involved in managers decisions.

You are implying that its the boards fault that team was fielded to begin with.. The board shouldnt be asking the manager to justify his team selection before a match. How could the board have prevented that!?

The fact the manager said he would do it again and the club would still continue to back him if he didn't fall ill speaks volumes.

I cant remember him saying that but I'll take your word for it. The board/Randy have certainly not come out and said they would back him if he did it again, they werent ever going to get rid of him mid-season and 90% of clubs wouldnt either, keep this until the end of the season as MM has been saying for months and how most people would agree is the best thing to do. It was either sack him in December or stick with him. we stuck. After that sackign the manager is suicide.

It's bloody obvious that all the club is concerned about is staying in the top league

Look at the Generals thread. He clearly is not happy with what has transpired since January. You are making things up.

while trimming the wage bill

Trimming the wage bill HAS to happen, we cant afford to prop up an £80m wage bill, we can't compete for trophies with a wage bill of that size. Have you heard of the Uefa Financial Fair Play rules? Probably not. Our wage bill is ridiculous. Spurs have a smaller wage bill than us. So do Everton.

Small wage bill does not = not competing.

Small wage bill = being allowed to compete in 3 seasons time

and spending less on transfers.

£30m in January, if we spend £40m in the Summer (i'd say thats likely considering the amount we need to change, or atleast the £30m-ish we expect to make from sales). Randy would have given similar amounts of money to GH/whoever as they gave to MON each season (think The Sun had MON's avg yearly spend at £70m)

They've shown no signs whatsoever of wanting another trophy in the cabinet this season

Again, can't force a team to play, cant choose the team without making the club a place no manager would want to work. Dont understand how you dont get this. They clearly want a trophy. It's a business, trophies increase business, how ridiculous to say they dont want one.

and I doubt they will for a fair while.

Typical way of influencing opinion by you stating your opinion in some defining way, which means **** all. If we win a trophy next year it doesnt mean the board wanted it any more than they did this year.

Abramovic spent £50m in Jan to try and win the Champions League and that didnt help diddly squat, he wont spend £50m next January but that doesnt mean he wants to win the CL less next year.

Bam.

I know the financial side of things has to happen. I GET that. But it seems to be their only focus. If it wasn't, they would have let GH known we take the cup very seriously, so his either disrespected them (I find that hard to believe considering they've been best of pals regardless of the situation) or his primary objectives is to stay in the top league and to sort out the deadwood doing nothing worthy. I'm sticking by that. There's been no evidence to suggest we tried to win that FA trophy. Unless you're saying we did try to compete it? :?

I also think there's gonna be a lot of people on here who'll be disappointed in the next appointment. I think there's too many fantasists on here as opposed to realists like myself. Randy's track record at appointments seem to be bad at the Browns and there's also the fact his first appointment, GH, has been an absolute disaster. GH may have worked at other clubs, but he hasn't worked at this club at all as manager. He hasn't understood the ethos of this club.

I mean who actually asked for GH before he became our manager? I don't recall one fan who even asked for him.

Sometimes i wish i met randy lerner so i could try and tell him what the fans want instead of these so called knowledgable people who give him advice on football.

There's plenty of talented managers out there but you have to risk your fingers getting burned to sometimes find the right gem.

I mean who actually asked for GH before he became our manager? I don't recall one fan who even asked for him.
What does that have to do with anything? We don't pick the manager, the board do. It's up to the board to pick the person they think is best, not the person most fans want. Granted, it could be argued they didn't do a very good job of appointing the best man last time around, but Houllier was their first appointment.

We won't see trophies for a while. The board currently have no ambition.

dont be ridiculous.

They thought it was perfectly fine that GH fielded a weak team in the Eastlands when the next round was Reading at home. They showed no signs of anger when it happened and I don't even think the club apologised despite the fact the FA cup is important to us, especially considering our neighbours won the Carling Cup just days before it. No excuses to do it when we only had two PL games in the months that were two weeks apart and we lost both games anyway. It made no logical sense whatsoever. It was bloody embrassing that we looked so weak and didn't even care infront of all the ITV spectators. The fact the manager said he would do it again and the club would still continue to back him if he didn't fall ill speaks volumes.

It's bloody obvious that all the club is concerned about is staying in the top league while trimming the wage bill and spending less on transfers. They've shown no signs whatsoever of wanting another trophy in the cabinet this season and I doubt they will for a fair while.

Please tell me what you're on dude, coz I want to make sure I stay well away from it...

The Board lack ambition? £24m spent on Darren Bent (doubling our previous record), £30m spent in the January transfer window, is that lack of ambition? Does money grow on trees in your world or something?

Oh and get over the loss to Cithe in the cup, we'd never have beaten Utd in the semi's anyway, and I don't know about you but I'm sick of going to Wembley and losing, its a crap day out.

What does that have to do with anything? We don't pick the manager, the board do. It's up to the board to pick the person they think is best, not the person most fans want. Granted, it could be argued they didn't do a very good job of appointing the best man last time around, but Houllier was their first appointment.

What I mean is everyone has different opinions on who they want, even the ones that seem impossible to attract, but if it's someone they haven't even acknowledged, it's not really a promising prospect for the club.

We won't see trophies for a while. The board currently have no ambition.

dont be ridiculous.

They thought it was perfectly fine that GH fielded a weak team in the Eastlands when the next round was Reading at home. They showed no signs of anger when it happened and I don't even think the club apologised despite the fact the FA cup is important to us, especially considering our neighbours won the Carling Cup just days before it. No excuses to do it when we only had two PL games in the months that were two weeks apart and we lost both games anyway. It made no logical sense whatsoever. It was bloody embrassing that we looked so weak and didn't even care infront of all the ITV spectators. The fact the manager said he would do it again and the club would still continue to back him if he didn't fall ill speaks volumes.

It's bloody obvious that all the club is concerned about is staying in the top league while trimming the wage bill and spending less on transfers. They've shown no signs whatsoever of wanting another trophy in the cabinet this season and I doubt they will for a fair while.

Please tell me what you're on dude, coz I want to make sure I stay well away from it...

The Board lack ambition? £24m spent on Darren Bent (doubling our previous record), £30m spent in the January transfer window, is that lack of ambition? Does money grow on trees in your world or something?

Oh and get over the loss to Cithe in the cup, we'd never have beaten Utd in the semi's anyway, and I don't know about you but I'm sick of going to Wembley and losing, its a crap day out.

As I've said enough times, Bent was more of a panic buy. When was the last time we've ever spent 24m on one player? Oh wait we didn't need to because we wasn't in trouble of going down. But we could if we wanted to push for 4th place and that would have been amibition. Jan 2010 £0 spent. Remember that.

As for your last sentence, I think it's gone to stage where we believe we can't defeat the big teams where it really counts, so I guess the best thing to do is give up, right? Sad times.