John Elway

Tegis

Top 5 all time?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Top 5 all time?

• Yes
    • No

Was surprised at a few things regarding Elway when I looked up some stuff on him.

*Drafted by Baltimore. Was it a similar thing to the Eli/SD draft where he refued to play, or was it just a normal trade?

*Only once rushed for over 300 yards. But I was always under the impression he was pretty good on the run?

*Only threw for 4,000 yards 1 time in 16 years.

*Never threw for 30 TDs, only 3 times he threw over 25 TDs.

*Only 3 times had a completion * of over 60%

The last 3 are a bit of a surprise as I'd always imagined Elway to be a beast without really looking at his numbers. Winning 2 rings will help, but players are usually judged on numbers. He's probably top 5 all-time of players retired, but I can't see him being ahead of Favre/Peyton/Brady when they're done, even Roethlisberger has already put up numbers comparable wih Elways best seasons and already equalled his Super Bowl total.

In '83 he was also drafted by the Yankees to play baseball, and chose to enter their minor league system instead of play for the then-Baltimore Colts, who were a shambolic franchise in those days. Don't remember how he landed with Denver but I know his baseball options (and the negotiating leverage it afforded him) had something to do with him avoiding playing for the Colts.

I'd definitely put him top 5. He didn't have much talent around him in the '80s but still manged to get them to three Super Bowls. (He had a much better supporting cast on the 1997-98 championship teams.)

Was surprised at a few things regarding Elway when I looked up some stuff on him.

*Drafted by Baltimore. Was it a similar thing to the Eli/SD draft where he refued to play, or was it just a normal trade?

*Only once rushed for over 300 yards. But I was always under the impression he was pretty good on the run?

*Only threw for 4,000 yards 1 time in 16 years.

*Never threw for 30 TDs, only 3 times he threw over 25 TDs.

*Only 3 times had a completion * of over 60%

The last 3 are a bit of a surprise as I'd always imagined Elway to be a beast without really looking at his numbers. Winning 2 rings will help, but players are usually judged on numbers. He's probably top 5 all-time of players retired, but I can't see him being ahead of Favre/Peyton/Brady when they're done, even Roethlisberger has already put up numbers comparable wih Elways best seasons and already equalled his Super Bowl total.

* Similar to the Manning situation

* 300 yards rushing for a quarterback is exceptionally good

But much of what Elway did is not measured by stat charts. He was a great leader, and one of the all time clutch performers. Tough as nails, too. I'd say right now, he's in the top five. But as soon as Favre, manning and Brady retire, he's off that list.

Â