Takeover parts 1 & 2

SFF

QAndy, I know you sceptical of Ellis not wanting to sell so with the transfer window firmly shut, perfect opportunity to say the deal has not been done and any sale is off.

the problem is thaat we are NOT being told anything at all and we have the biggest stake of all !!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually looking at the questions the mail posed there is no doubt the club could answer these to the stock exchange

Exactly. The only thing that the stock exchange prohibits is releasing information selectively - the idea is to prevent a situation in which some investors find out that the share price is going to plummet / rocket and are able to take advantage while the rest of the market remains in the dark.

There's absolutely nothing stopping the club from discussing this in public - as long as the content of that discussion is simultaneously released to the broader market.

the thing is Faust and I suspect the mail knows this is that they have no answer to question 1

Question 2 is a no but they don;t want to say this as it would lower the price

Question 3 is the one Ellis used to answer easily but no longer .....

Well, indeed. Still, let's hope that the Mail isn't going to be deterred by this. It's pretty clear that the club doesn't like this kind of coverage, so they may yet be able to lever some info out of them.

At the very least it may just force Ellis to think more carefully about what it is that he's doing.

well Faust we had no information this time and I think this is the kind of response the Mail wants as they know the questions can be answered.

the club (well Ellis) is scared, he is scared he can;t sell before he dies and for the money he wants.

Exactly. The only thing that the stock exchange prohibits is releasing information selectively - the idea is to prevent a situation in which some investors find out that the share price is going to plummet / rocket and are able to take advantage while the rest of the market remains in the dark.

There's absolutely nothing stopping the club from discussing this in public - as long as the content of that discussion is simultaneously released to the broader market.

Well, they could issue a statement. But if they feel it's not in their interest, why do it?

Who can guarantee that someone in the Evening Mail doesn't use the information, if given, for personal benefit? It's against the rules. The club will make an announcement through the proper channels when there is anything to announce. Not before.

And The Evening Mail should know this. In my view they look rather stupid right now. They admit they don't know anything so they print an article where they demand to be kept informed. The club responds with "If we inform you we will be breaking LSE rules, which we wont do, and you should know that".

the point is Bob the club could tell us things and not break the SE rules, that is clear but they choose not to and use the so called rules as a shield when by not appointing a CEO and FD they are breaking the governance rules.

Well, they could issue a statement. But if they feel it's not in their interest, why do it?

Who can guarantee that someone in the Evening Mail doesn't use the information, if given, for personal benefit? It's against the rules. The club will make an announcement through the proper channels when there is anything to announce. Not before.

And The Evening Mail should know this. In my view they look rather stupid right now. They admit they don't know anything so they print an article where they demand to be kept informed. The club responds with "If we inform you we will be breaking LSE rules, which we wont do, and you should know that".

You are right, they can release a statement, like the one above. They can do that anytime they want. Releasing news via press releases outside of market hours is the norm. But as you point out, its probably not in their interests. Whilst the great unwashed think he's going they're hardly likely to rebel now are they.

I think the mail was asking "is there something you should be telling us" and the plc responded "not saying"

I'd be amazed if that spiel came from Villa Park.

Talk about legalise.

Bullshit of the first order, here's hoping whoever is paying isn't doing it by the hour, they are certainly dragging their feet

It's written by two people if you hadnt noticed, one of whom has a rather slippery memory.

I think you see a conspiracy that isn't there Ian. I don't think the Mail knows something and want the club to confirm it. My guess is that they have very limited information, have tried to get some more through their regular sources, but find that they are not talking. They may be guessing that the reason for this is that the Comers have walked away. So they print this article to try to put pressure on the club to confirm or deny this.

But the editor would be stupid if he expected an answer to these questions. Let's look at them.

Q1: Is the Comer deal dead and buried? If so, why?

If we for a moment neglect that this is price sensitive information, how could the club answer this if allowed to? It is a leading question and the question should be asked to the Comers, not the club. Ellis has allready confirmed that he would accept an offer from them, so if the deal is off it's the Comers that should be explaining this. And it could only be "need to pursue other interests instead", "price too high" or "sorry for the inconvenience, but we just recently found out that we didn't have the money", but regardless the real reason they would answer "price too high".

Obviously the deal isn't dead and buried yet, as the Comers themself haven't declared that they no longer want to buy the club. Why would the club confirm that the deal is dead and buried if the Comers doesn't confirm this themself? How often do you hear sales people say "this deal is dead and buried" before the potential buyer says so?

Q2: Are Villa closer to finding another buyer? If so, who?

The editor would be really stupid if he for a second believed they would answer this one. The first question is very vague and the answer is yes. By appointing Rothchild they are closer. How close is obviously another matter. But to ask the club name people or groups of people that migth have made informal approaches to either Rothchild or Ellis directly...?

Q3: Does Doug really want to sell the club? If not, what's the plan for the future?

This has allready been answered by Ellis confirming he would have accepted a bid from AVIL and by appointing Rothchild.

So this is nothing more than trying to sell more papers. They don't have a story. They try to create one by "demaning answers on behalf of loyal supporters".

They say they want answers and won't stop asking until they get them. If they really mean this, they should start asking the right questions to the right people. The Mail is obviously more interested in selling papers than getting answers. Today they will print the club statement, added with some information from "reliable sources" asking the club to either confirm or deny.

They say they want answers and won't stop asking until they get them. If they really mean this, they should start asking the right questions to the right people. The Mail is obviously more interested in selling papers than getting answers.

That Bob is probably the most sense I have read in these 111 pages so far.

If any of us really think the Mail are on some great investigative crusade on our behalf, then we are more addled than Doug is.