Andy Marshall becomes O'Neill's latest recruit

BOF

Villa have completed the signing of veteran goalkeeper Andy Marshall.

Marshall spent the last 3 seasons at Coventry City and was released after his contract expired at the end of June.

He started his career at Norwich City as understudy to local legend Bryan Gunn and went on to play 219 games for the Canaries. He left Norwich citing an ambition to play in the Premier League and much to Norwich supporters' amazement he joined hated rivals Ipswich Town in 2001.

Unfortunately his Norwich past never sat well with the Tractorboys faithful and to add insult to injury in his first season with the team they were relegated (the UEFA Cup campaign season).

In January 2004 Marshall moved to Millwall and had a fantastic time. No doubt the highlight was in being part of the Millwall team that got to the FA Cup final that year against Manchester United, eventually losing 3-0.

At the end of his 3 year contract Marshall moved to Coventry City where he again enjoyed a great stint. In the 2006/07 season he won the London Supporters Player of the Year Trophy, the Wales Supporters Player of the Year and Coventry's Player of the Season Award.

The former England under 21 international joins Villa on a one year contract and will add experience and knowledge to the goalkeeping squad.

VillaTalk welcomes the popular goalkeeper (well, popular outside Norfolk & suffolk)

Would rather rely on him than Parish if needed - a fan of Parish I aint!

Will probably be on cheaper wages than Stuart Taylor and was the type of signing that was needed to plug that hole. Now, if we could just plug the holes in central defence...!

Well I was going to say come on MON we've lost Taylor, I'm none too sure about Parish, how about a number 3 at some point? But MON has beaten me to it. Wise move - not beating me to it, getting a 3rd keeper in.

Â