Fire Alarms

snowychap

Your reaction to a fire alarm?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Your reaction to a fire alarm?

• Present yourself outside.
    • Assume it's a false one and, possibly, burn, burn, burn.
    • Wonder what to do and, possibly, burn, burn, burn.

Chaps and chapesses,

I'd like to check something out with you.

I live in a building (or more correctly the annexe of the building) which has been converted into flats/bedsits.

There is a fire alarm system which emits a very loud, high pitched, recurring noise.

The landlord/owner who used to live in the property left me with the key to the fire alarm when he moved to Brighton (so that there was someone there who could check it and turn it off - the damn thing has a tendency to go off when some muppet is burning their Sunday roast).

From the first time that this alarm went off, I have stopped whatever I was doing and gone outside. There are no set fire evacuation procedures or assembly point, &c.

Only one other person in the building has started to do this too.

When I said to him that no one else had even ventured to see why the alarm was going off, he responded, "Perhaps they haven't been told the procedure."

:shock: Really?

In my view, the standard procedure when hearing a fire alarm coming from the building one is in is: Get the f*ck outside (in an orderly fashion, yadda, yadda).

So, my question to the world of VT is: am I expecting too much of other people?

I have put in a poll on possible responses, the question and potential responses (I know there could be many more) in full are:

You hear a fire alarm in your block of flats, do you:

a) leave your flat in an orderly fashion and wait outside until told it's a false alarm?

B) think 'Ah, it's the alarm - that always goes off, it's probably just someone burning their dinner' and ignore it?

c) moan that no one ever told you what you needed to do when a fire alarm sounded and, possibly, burn to death like a moron?

If I could see a clear route outside, i.e. jumperable window. I might ignore it especially if the alarm goes off a lot. I would properly go an investigate it though rather than present myself outside if it was coming from my building.

Work is different. We have them at work regularly too, but the fire alarm test is always at a set time and day (10:30am on a Tuesday if you are interested) and staff are told that there will be a fire alarm test ten minutes in advance of it happening. But there are Fire Wardens to twist your arm when you are at work, and there is the added bonus that you might get out of doing something if they have a full blown drill. Its different when you are in the comfort of your own home though, the temptation to ignore it is a lot higher.

I would properly go an investigate it though rather than present myself outside if it was coming from my building.

Ah, just to clarify - the main entrance/exit of the building is where the fire alarm system is located.

It has a panel which indicates the source of the alarm.

So actually 'presenting oneself outside' would also be gathering in a place where one would find out what was going on.

I work in a hospital and they have routine fire alarm tests twice a week. I've given up reacting to them now.

Are those the 'check if they are working at a set time' kind of tests?

Are those the 'check if they are working at a set time' kind of tests?

I honestly don't know. TBH it's usually the last thing on my mind at work. It sounds crazy I know, but having a million other things to worry about this does not really come into my list of things to be concerned about. Just writing it out makes me sound stupid I know.

got ya, then prop leave it 5min to see if someone ( you ) turned it off . I hear alarms in the street and I pretty much never go out to see whats occurring. Guess thats just someone possibly getting robbed tho rather than you possibly burning alive tho.

Been in blocks of flats a couple of times and if I heard an alarm I would go down stairs, I'm worried they will just fall over anyway never mind burning down, although the flats I've been in it would be best to take a weapon in case it was a rouse for a robbery . :o

Â