Any Sparkys out there

PussEKatt

I am having a discussion/argument with a friend.I leave the TV,monitor,Pc etc on all the time ( only switched off at the appliance )

My friend switches off all his stuff at the appliance and at the wall sockit.Will switching of at the wall every day harm the appliance ? Is it ok to leave the power on at the wall and only turn it off at the PC itself etc ?

For modern equipment, they use almost no power in standby mode. Older equipment uses more in standby.

Turning off at the wall, after putting into standby will not harm equipment.

Turning off at the wall after putting into standby will, for modern smart equipment mean a slower start up - for example Smart TVs will need to re-get programme guides and go through initialisation, which will take a minute or two.

So modern kit (say last 5 years) better to leave on at the wall, unless going away for a holiday or whatever. Older kit, turn off at the wall to save a little on your bill.

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

So modern kit (say last 5 years) better to leave on at the wall, unless going away for a holiday or whatever. Older kit, turn off at the wall to save a little on your bill.

Sort of true ...  especially in the summer.

In winter the "wasted" energy is going into heating your home. Of course, there are price and efficiency differentials between electricity and gas. We don't want to heat our homes on hot summer days.

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

In winter the "wasted" energy is going into heating your home

Only some of it. And given stuff like TVs is generally downstairs and off at night, there's no benefit given most folk are upstairs, or in a different room at least and fast asleep.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Only some of it. And given stuff like TVs is generally downstairs and off at night, there's no benefit given most folk are upstairs, or in a different room at least and fast asleep.

I would argue the vast majority of it. The thermostat will not differentiate between the heat from the TV (plus gadgets) and any radiator. And the people with forced air heating ie most of North America pretty much all of the heat is used to warm the home. 

Where else is the energy going to go? I am not suggesting we use our appliances to heat homes, but it makes interesting the evaluation of high-efficiency light bulbs.

58 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Where else is the energy going to go?

Depends on the appliance. Stuff with processors in, running the processor, waiting for a remote signal, ac to dc conversion, various electrical and electronic activity which as a by product creates heat. Older TVs the display or CRT is off but not all of the circuitry is inert. All those little electrons running around..

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Depends on the appliance. Stuff with processors in, running the processor, waiting for a remote signal, ac to dc conversion, various electrical and electronic activity which as a by product creates heat. Older TVs the display or CRT is off but not all of the circuitry is inert. All those little electrons running around..

I don't think we are really disagreeing ... I still maintain a kWh of energy coming to the appliance will end up mostly heating the home. The energy running the microprocessors etc ends up as heat.

Edited by fruitvilla

Â